No announcement yet.

Tire pressure

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Mods are just lazy..... Bearing buddies? I pump til a bunch of grease come out them, is that enough? I know I'm getting grease to the back bearing because the seal is weeping.... All over the inside rim too. Kinda nice, now they wont rust... Just sayin............

Comment

Originally posted by WIMUSKY View Post
      The Mods are just lazy..... Bearing buddies? I pump til a bunch of grease come out them, is that enough? I know I'm getting grease to the back bearing because the seal is weeping.... All over the inside rim too. Kinda nice, now they wont rust... Just sayin............
      Must be half time.

1998 Wellcraft Eclipse 24 Cuddy
      Volvo Penta Duo-Prop 7.4L "LK"

2006 Sun Tracker Party Barge 21
      Mercury 90 4-Stroke FI
      "Common sense is not very common"
      "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail." -- John Wooden

Comment

the answer to that is an automatic greasing system
        "Success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by bruceb58 View Post
          Must be half time.
          Coulda been.....

Comment

Originally posted by WIMUSKY View Post
            I used to repack and replace rear seals annually. Then, one year I tried bearing buddies and just maintained them per the instructions. Nine years later I joined this forum and read all about how bad they are. That Fall I pulled all the wheels to repack them, only to find that there was no water in the hubs, all bearings were fully greased and everything was fine. Made me mad that I went thru all that trouble. They haven't been redone ever since.
            2019 SeaRay SPX 190 OB & Mercury 150 4-Stroke & Merc 5.0 Kicker
            2017 Boston Whaler 150 Montauk & Mercury 60 ELPT Command Thrust & Merc 3.5 Kicker
            2015 Yamaha FX Cruiser HO
            1964 Sea Nymph 14R & 1970 Evinrude Sportwin 9.5
            1960 Mulray 100 Dinghy, equipped with Beaver Oars
            1952 Lyman 15' Mid Steer & Evinrude Big Twin 25
            69 Outboards: 1919-2019, representing 11 manufacturers
            -------------------------------------------------------------------
            Member ACBS, LBOA, AOMCI

Comment

Originally posted by may the force be with you View Post
              the answer to that is an automatic greasing system
              One of my plant production lines had over 500 bearings, all in a wet harsh chemical environment. We would lose 5 or 6 bearings a week. The downtime to replace them, or even grease them periodically was staggering.

The automatic greasing system I installed was the worst thing I ever did. Ended up replacing all of the mechanical heads with grease nipples. The time for a mechanic to put 2 squirts in each nipple once a day was much less than the time to maintain the automatic system.
              2019 SeaRay SPX 190 OB & Mercury 150 4-Stroke & Merc 5.0 Kicker
              2017 Boston Whaler 150 Montauk & Mercury 60 ELPT Command Thrust & Merc 3.5 Kicker
              2015 Yamaha FX Cruiser HO
              1964 Sea Nymph 14R & 1970 Evinrude Sportwin 9.5
              1960 Mulray 100 Dinghy, equipped with Beaver Oars
              1952 Lyman 15' Mid Steer & Evinrude Big Twin 25
              69 Outboards: 1919-2019, representing 11 manufacturers
              -------------------------------------------------------------------
              Member ACBS, LBOA, AOMCI

Comment

that's because the tires were worn uneven
                "Success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by JimS123 View Post

I used to repack and replace rear seals annually. Then, one year I tried bearing buddies and just maintained them per the instructions. Nine years later I joined this forum and read all about how bad they are. That Fall I pulled all the wheels to repack them, only to find that there was no water in the hubs, all bearings were fully greased and everything was fine. Made me mad that I went thru all that trouble. They haven't been redone ever since.
                  ok, you got me sold, I'm getting a set

Comment

Originally posted by may the force be with you View Post

ok, you got me sold, I'm getting a set
                    Glad you finally see the light!

Mercury 90 4-Stroke FI

Comment

• There's no light, I used up all my wiring/connectors for wrapping around my tires

Comment

• Originally posted by may the force be with you View Post
                        There's no light
                        That's the understatement of the day!

Mercury 90 4-Stroke FI

Comment

• "Success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

Comment

• Originally posted by JimS123 View Post

I'm the same way. Always used Buddies and never looked at the bearings since. Never had a failure either. 12yrs on my current trailer....

Comment

• And original air in the tires. Must be OEM air is the best - Right, Musky? Actually air from 12 years ago is probably better.
                              BOAT SPECS | FORUM HELP | STARCRAFT FORUM | SHOP iBoats
                              Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
                              That is what the forums are for.
                              Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Comment

Originally posted by GA_Boater View Post
                                And original air in the tires. Must be OEM air is the best - Right, Musky? Actually air from 12 years ago is probably better.
                                I have a good supply of 30 year old air that will guarantee good performance at min/max pressure. It is rare and price is premium so if your interested contact me. I also have plenty of hot air.
                                The older I get,the less I care what people think.....Central NC

Comment

Working...
                                X