Tire pressure

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
When I change tires on trailer rims, I use Dawn because it leaves my hands soft and smooth. Something better? :rolleyes:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Dad and I have a combined 80+ years of towing.
All on bias ply tires.
All run at max pressure.
Often on 5-8 year old tires.
Only one failure, caused by a nail, which we suspect lowered the air pressure, tire popped off the rim when we hit a set of rough railroad tracks.

This is boring, lets talk about connecting wires together.

Crimp, twist, solder, tape, shrink-wrap, double shrink, adhesive lined shrink connectors.

crimp with correct crimping tool, then solder then adhesive lined heat-shrink in appropriate color. Red for power, Black for ground

1118192003_resized.jpg1118191959_resized.jpg

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
8487b8e0-dc9e-44db-a038-0c74f789be06.JPG

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I have been crimping and soldering for decades. While it may not be needed, it does seal the joint and prevents corrosion from wicking up the terminal

The Force power

Commander
I have been crimping and soldering for decades. While it may not be needed, it does seal the joint and prevents corrosion from wicking up the terminal

Agree and also a small amount of solder makes its way into the wire-strands down the wire preventing breakage.
wash-off any residue of solder flux (corrosive) shrink tube is a must

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I use the appropriate tool setting on the appropriate terminal for the wire at hand

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Oh my...I guess i'm a little slow today, but finally I figured it out.

If you crimp wires around your chinacrap bias radial tires you can put any pressure in that you want and you won't have a problem.

Why didn't y'all just splain it in the first place. We could have ended this thread in the 2nd page instead of running its course in the the 5th.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Agree and also a small amount of solder makes its way into the wire-strands down the wire preventing breakage.
Actually, solder going down the wire strands make is more susceptible to breakage since you now have a solid wire. That's the whole reason you don't want to solder in a high vibration environment. Sam am I's article explains this as well as the one I posted earlier.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Actually, solder going down the wire strands make is more susceptible to breakage since you now have a solid wire. That's the whole reason you don't want to solder in a high vibration environment. Sam am I's article explains this as well as the one I posted earlier.

Just what I was taught in 1965. Only solder when you have to and this was for the Air Force.

The Force power

Commander
true, but there will be always be a point of it being solid going to flexible either crimped or soldered
I guess its one of things; to each their own. lol

The Force power

Commander
Oh my...I guess i'm a little slow today, but finally I figured it out.

If you crimp wires around your chinacrap bias radial tires you can put any pressure in that you want and you won't have a problem.

Why didn't y'all just splain it in the first place. We could have ended this thread in the 2nd page instead of running its course in the the 5th.

yes wire wrapped tires and solder the joints, not just crimped! lol