Boat trailer galvanize

George168

Recruit
Hi all.

I'm new to the site so thanks for having me. 😊
I own a Zodiac pro 420 and two months back decide my 25 year old trailer finally needed replacing.
So I bought a brand new galvanized trailer.
However last month I noticed some stains starting to show on the metal and got me worried that my brand new trailer is already starting to corrode.
I wash the trailer every time it comes out the sea but still..
Could anyone share some light as to if this is normal or not.
I have also attached a photo.
I look forward to your replies 😊
​​​​

​​​​​​​

Attachments

• photo321857.jpg
    photo321857.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Looks like some sort of acid got on there. I have seen that when using On/Off cleaner. Buy some cold galvanizing spray paint and touch it up.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
galvanizing is simply a zinc coating. the zinc is sacrificial and will start to corrode vs the metal. that is normal.

mike_i

Master Chief Petty Officer
Did you get any type of a warranty with your trailer? If you decide to start applying any type of cold galvanizing paint read up on mastercoat permanent rust sealer first. After many hours of grinding, wire brushing and scrapping off loose old zinc and rust from my trailer then applying ZRC then having the problem return I tried the mastercoat. Long story short, I wished I found out about this stuff long ago. It's like applying a thick coat of liquid metal to the trailer and so far there's no rust where I applied the mastercoat as apposed to the ZRC areas. My trailer is only used in saltwater. I wished I would have known about this stuff years ago when my 20 something year old trailer first started to rust as the old zinc did it's job and dissolved.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Looks like someone got brake fluid on it.

Brake fluid isn’t kind to galvanize. Either are most types of hull cleaners