2018 Shorelander Seal Help

ralphy670

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello,
I am completing my annual maintenance on my new boat trailer and Iam having some issues. My trailer is a 3500lbs trailer and I am baffled on the seals that are in it. They are TCM 174253TB and the spindle has a wear sleeve installed from the factory. I cant seem to find this seal anywhere and it does not cross reference to anything. The closest I can find is a CR 17413 however I am not sure if it will work. The measurment of the original seal according to Transcom has an ID of 1.741. I do have some standard axles seals for a 3500 lbs axle which are 1.72 id and will fit in the bore ok however I am not sure if they will be too tight.

Anyone know which seals I should use

thanks

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
The seal is used in oil bath hub installations (explains the shaft sleeves) per the manufacturer Dichtomitik.

Nothing special... You can order the seal from Shoreline direct, Eastern Trailer or any good bearing supply house

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
call shoreland'r with your VIN (they have fantastic service support). they should still be using UFP hubs and actuators... (Unique Functional Products - now part of the Dexter family )

simply get bearings, sleaves, and seals for a UFP hub from any reputable bearing place or directly from shoreland'r

ralphy670

Petty Officer 1st Class
well thats strange as the hubs have grease in them and bearing buddies. I have typed my VIN number in the Shorelander parts lookup and the part is a 4410130 and on other sites it lists it as a 1.75 ID. Can i use a 1.72 id seal as the outer is the same size for a standard 3500lbs trailer seal. I am in Canada which makes it quite expensive to order from the US.
I can order the CR seal here in Canada which is a 1.75 ID, 2.565 bore, and .312 width. Nobody seems to carry TCM seals here, or at least at the locations I checked. Most businesses including dealerships carry CR seals only.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
well thats strange as the hubs have grease in them and bearing buddies. I have typed my VIN number in the Shorelander parts lookup and the part is a and on other sites it lists it as a 1.75 ID. Can i use a 1.72 id seal as the outer is the same size for a standard 3500lbs trailer seal. I am in Canada which makes it quite expensive to order from the US.
I can order the CR seal here in Canada which is a 1.75 ID, 2.565 bore, and .312 width. Nobody seems to carry TCM seals here, or at least at the locations I checked. Most businesses including dealerships carry CR seals only.
In bearing terms, the 0.030" difference in diameter isn't even close.

Never order bearings based upon a description, especially when the ID or OD is given as a fraction ;)

The sleeve and seal in question is identified in Dichtomatic catolog as follows:

SHAFT-EZE - 99170S1
V-RING - 0457
BEARING - 174253TB - 1.741" x 2.561" x 0.312" TB NBR NCC

ralphy670

Petty Officer 1st Class
So is the .030 close for the inner diameter of the seal? I dont need the bearings or sleeve as they are in good condition.

I found one place who could search the tcm number and there were none in Canada.

I am not very familiar with bearings and seals so I apologize for not understanding.

The specs for the Tcm seal are 1.741" id x 2.561" od x 0.312"

I have lots of seals from my old trailer which are 1.719" Id x 2.565"od x .500"

I can order cr seals which are 1.750" Id x 2.565" od x .312"

According to the wear sleeve specs from shorelander, the size of the spindle with sleeve us 1.750.

I am not sure why they would install seals for an oil bath system on a hub which has bearing buddies and grease, unless the dealer changed them.

I really appreciate all the information so I thank all that replied. I just need to get this resolved
resolved before the snow flies.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
The specs for the Tcm seal are 1.741" id x 2.561" od x 0.312"

I have lots of seals from my old trailer which are 1.719" Id x 2.565"od x .500"

I can order cr seals which are 1.750" Id x 2.565" od x .312"
No

According to the wear sleeve specs from shorelander, the size of the spindle with sleeve us 1.750.
as noted above... 1.750 is a nominal (basic) shaft diameter, not the actual (measured) diameter

I am not sure why they would install seals for an oil bath system on a hub which has bearing buddies and grease, unless the dealer changed them.
Why are you putting grease in hubs designed for use with oil?...lol

A seal designed for oil (wear sleeve and matching seal) is superior to that of a grease seal. Using the oil filled configuration for both oil and grease cuts down on the inventory required for production

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
According to Shoreland'r;

[h=6]Easier Maintenance[/h]
Grease-Pack Hubs and Bearing Protectors create positive pressure to keep water and contaminants out. This prolongs bearing life and prevent breakdowns, without the hassle of oil-bath systems.

Buy the seals from Shoreland'r and there will no question about size or fit. Did you buy the trailer in Canada? The dealer should be able to get the parts.

ralphy670

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok thanks dingbat. I will try to find somewhere to order the seals. Shorelander has the part number as 4410130 for my trailer and available at eastern so that's what I may have to do. In the interim, I have installed the seal I have on hand just to get it off Jackatands, I wont be driving it until I get the correct seal.

thanks

ralphy670

Petty Officer 1st Class
According to Shoreland'r;

Buy the seals from Shoreland'r and there will no question about size or fit. Did you buy the trailer in Canada? The dealer should be able to get the parts.

Yes I bought it in Canada. The dealer only has cr seals for trailers but I will see if they can order the number above.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
here you go https://www.shorelandr.com/parts/

again, Shoreland'r uses UFP actuator and hubs. get proper UFP bearings (under-sized race) and seals. while at it, pick up one of their bearing caps as a spare.

Cortes100

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'd go this route....^^^ (as per Scott)

If seals/parts are really that hard to find, I would call shoreland'r to confirm what's needed.
Check out their homepage, you can find local dealers, parts, etc.

https://www.shorelandr.com/

They can ship to you or your local dealer. I've used them a few times and they've been very helpful in fixing any issues.

Lowlysubaruguy

Chief Petty Officer
There is a Subaru front diff seal that is spot on for this seal sorry I dont know the number I just matched it up one day when we were having difficulties ordering the right seal from the axle manufacture. The new seal came in and we compared it to the Subaru seal and opted to leave the higher quality Japanese seal in place rather than installing the inferior most likely Chinese made seal that was on it to begin with. It fit a little tighter than the original not to much tighter I felt confident it would outperform the right seal

ralphy670

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well after alot of searching, I found a dealer who had the correct Shorelandr" seal number. He stated they were having problems with trying to fit other seals for 3500 lbs as well. Some were too small while others were too large. He actually had 50 in stock and sold 14 since I called a coule days ago. Why in the world would Shoreland"r use a special seal only for their trailers.
Anyway, a bit of a drive and 10 bucks per seal later i was out the door. Cost was quite high compared to Eastern which I will be ordering a large quantity this winter to have spares.
Thanks to everyone for the help, I learned alot along the way.

Cheers