Winching the boat, on dry land

nitsuj

Chief Petty Officer
My last outing, the winch strap broke on the ramp. Not the strap itself, but the stitching holding the hook. Upon further inspection, I discovered that the winch itself was also getting a little sketchy. The gears aren't looking so hot, so I replace it with a Fulton F2 3200# winch. That despite their claim that it has a universal mounting system, it doesn't fit my trailer. But that's a story for another time. Here's my current issue. The boat was about 3" from the bow stop when the strap let go. Boat weighs about 4900#. Once I solve my winch problem and get one that fits, whats the best way to winch it home with out putting too much stress on the winch? I was thinking of picking up some weight with a jack under the transom then cranking on the winch slowly. Maybe I'm over thinking this, but I was worried that if I tried pulling a dry boat on dry bunks it might be a little much for the winch. Of course, I'm basing that on how hard it was to winch it up with my old winch, which was probably already half dead. What say you gents?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Wet the bunks, park on a steep downhill grade. Winch it up and go home.

Lowlysubaruguy

Chief Petty Officer
If you can’t put it back in the water try putting a fair amount of tension on the winch and go drive it hit the brakes firmly see if it moves forward. Seems like mine always snubs tight against my roller whenever some dumb as pulls out in front of me and then wants to turn left without giving me any warning. I love it when people think because I’m hauling a fat long boat with a big truck they need to be in front of me to bad they don’t think oh wait he’s carrying a lot of weight i should give him enough warning before a slam on my brakes if it’s not an emergency.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
.... Maybe I'm over thinking this, but I was worried that if I tried pulling a dry boat on dry bunks it might be a little much for the winch. ...

Yep, way over thinking it...

If the trailer is set up right, there should be VERY LITTLE weight on the bunks. The keel rollers should be carrying the weight and the side bunk are just there to stop the boat falling over. If you are carrying weight on the side bunks, adjust the trailer correctly (so there aren't carrying weight)...

Chris.......

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Yep, way over thinking it...

If the trailer is set up right, there should be VERY LITTLE weight on the bunks. The keel rollers should be carrying the weight and the side bunk are just there to stop the boat falling over. If you are carrying weight on the side bunks, adjust the trailer correctly (so there aren't carrying weight)...

Chris.......
Locally, very few if any bunk trailers have keel rollers.

Currently trailer shopping (roller to bunk) and have yet to see a trailer with keel rollers. Defeats the whole purpose of having a trailer without rollers to maintain.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Locally, very few if any bunk trailers have keel rollers.

Currently trailer shopping (roller to bunk) and have yet to see a trailer with keel rollers. Defeats the whole purpose of having a trailer without rollers to maintain.

Yeah, ok.... But that's just plain dumb.... The hull isn't designed to have the weight taken between the strakes. It's designed to have the weight taken on the keel, hence a keel. Taking the weight between the strakes is going to lead to the hull becoming distorted. I know this, because I've seen it. Seen a few boats with too much weight taken on the side bunks/rollers and the hulls develop 'hooks'.... That's what happens when there's no keel rollers.

Chris......

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
My boat is on the factory trailer and it has no rollers, either. Come to think of it, very few fiberglass boats around here have bunk trailers with rollers of any sort...

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Yeah, ok.... But that's just plain dumb.... The hull isn't designed to have the weight taken between the strakes. It's designed to have the weight taken on the keel, hence a keel. Taking the weight between the strakes is going to lead to the hull becoming distorted. I know this, because I've seen it. Seen a few boats with too much weight taken on the side bunks/rollers and the hulls develop 'hooks'.... That's what happens when there's no keel rollers.

Chris......

In the olden days trailers were an option, not part of a "package" put together by the manufacturers. As such, boat dealers set up the rig so it was right, and would last the owner a long time. Back them ALL trailers had keel rollers.

Along the way people complained about maintenance, so lots of things got cheaper. Since owners keep the thing only a few years, the dealers stopped caring.

Aftermarket rollers and brackets are available for the do-it-yourselfer. In fact the Stoltz poly self-centering rollers are better than anything ever made. I won't own a boat without them.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
My last outing, the winch strap broke on the ramp. Not the strap itself, but the stitching holding the hook. Upon further inspection, I discovered that the winch itself was also getting a little sketchy. The gears aren't looking so hot, so I replace it with a Fulton F2 3200# winch. That despite their claim that it has a universal mounting system, it doesn't fit my trailer. But that's a story for another time. Here's my current issue. The boat was about 3" from the bow stop when the strap let go. Boat weighs about 4900#. Once I solve my winch problem and get one that fits, whats the best way to winch it home with out putting too much stress on the winch? I was thinking of picking up some weight with a jack under the transom then cranking on the winch slowly. Maybe I'm over thinking this, but I was worried that if I tried pulling a dry boat on dry bunks it might be a little much for the winch. Of course, I'm basing that on how hard it was to winch it up with my old winch, which was probably already half dead. What say you gents?

dunk it, use either new winch or tie old strap to bow eye to winch up, then replace winch

ahicks

Captain
The bunks, in a perfect world, should be located under the boat's stringers. If those are supported well, and the transom is well supported, the boat should not have any issues with life on a trailer. As far as the hill idea, I believe the intention was to have the boat backed up the hill, to make it easier to slide it forward.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
The bunks, in a perfect world, should be located under the boat's stringers. If those are supported well, and the transom is well supported, the boat should not have any issues with life on a trailer. As far as the hill idea, I believe the intention was to have the boat backed up the hill, to make it easier to slide it forward.

That is probably the correct assumption, but it doesn't make any sense. In order to back up the hill the boat would have to already be on the trailer. I sure wouldn't drive around looking for a hill with the boat hanging off the back.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
That is probably the correct assumption, but it doesn't make any sense. In order to back up the hill the boat would have to already be on the trailer. I sure wouldn't drive around looking for a hill with the boat hanging off the back.

The bow is only about 3" shy of the bow stop according to the OP. The boat is not hanging off the back of the trailer.

But if you tighten the winch strap and drive around looking for said hill, stop and re-tighten the strap every once in awhile. The boat will magically nestle against the bow stop after one or two times from the trailer bouncing. Speed bumps work great. This is far safer than jamming on brakes.

ahicks

Captain
Yes, snugging up the strap a couple of times on the way home works really well. That's generally my plan. That said, I avoid speed bumps, especially when loaded. Those can be really hard on suspensions. The trailer's and the tow vehicle's!

ahicks

Captain
Re: speed bumps, I was considering a speed bump crossed at a speed which might help relocate a boat on the trailer. While that seems like a really bad plan here, it's pretty obvious suspensions are made to handle uneven pavement with an occasional bump. That's hardly how I would describe a typical speed bump. That's me though I guess.... Go for it. Hit one of those speed bumps at about 15mph......

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
What does the downhill grade do for you?

Let's put it this way -- if the trailer had rollers and you parked on a steep downhill grade the boat would move itself. I guess you might refer to this action as "gravity". Since this is a bunk trailer, it probably won't slide by itself, but it will require less tug and less stress on the bow eye.

MRS

Commander
You should have tied the strap thru the eye of the hook with a couple of knots when you started to pull back up on the trailer those knots would have tighten up so tied you could not undo them. But would not matter cause you had to change out the strap any how. Hopefully will not happen again, yes that has happened to me and the knots worked out just fine.