Winching the boat, on dry land

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winching the boat, on dry land

My last outing, the winch strap broke on the ramp. Not the strap itself, but the stitching holding the hook. Upon further inspection, I discovered that the winch itself was also getting a little sketchy. The gears aren't looking so hot, so I replace it with a Fulton F2 3200# winch. That despite their claim that it has a universal mounting system, it doesn't fit my trailer. But that's a story for another time. Here's my current issue. The boat was about 3" from the bow stop when the strap let go. Boat weighs about 4900#. Once I solve my winch problem and get one that fits, whats the best way to winch it home with out putting too much stress on the winch? I was thinking of picking up some weight with a jack under the transom then cranking on the winch slowly. Maybe I'm over thinking this, but I was worried that if I tried pulling a dry boat on dry bunks it might be a little much for the winch. Of course, I'm basing that on how hard it was to winch it up with my old winch, which was probably already half dead. What say you gents?
    1996 Mariah Z255 Shabah
    7.4 Liter Mercruiser Bravo III

Wet the bunks, park on a steep downhill grade. Winch it up and go home.

Comment

What does the downhill grade do for you?
      2019 SeaRay SPX 190 OB & Mercury 150 4-Stroke & Merc 5.0 Kicker
      2017 Boston Whaler 150 Montauk & Mercury 60 ELPT Command Thrust & Merc 3.5 Kicker
      2015 Yamaha FX Cruiser HO
      1964 Sea Nymph 14R & 1970 Evinrude Sportwin 9.5
      1960 Mulray 100 Dinghy, equipped with Beaver Oars
      1952 Lyman 15' Mid Steer & Evinrude Big Twin 25
      69 Outboards: 1919-2019, representing 11 manufacturers
      -------------------------------------------------------------------
      Member ACBS, LBOA, AOMCI

Comment

If you can’t put it back in the water try putting a fair amount of tension on the winch and go drive it hit the brakes firmly see if it moves forward. Seems like mine always snubs tight against my roller whenever some dumb as pulls out in front of me and then wants to turn left without giving me any warning. I love it when people think because I’m hauling a fat long boat with a big truck they need to be in front of me to bad they don’t think oh wait he’s carrying a lot of weight i should give him enough warning before a slam on my brakes if it’s not an emergency.

Comment

Originally posted by nitsuj View Post
          .... Maybe I'm over thinking this, but I was worried that if I tried pulling a dry boat on dry bunks it might be a little much for the winch. ...
          Yep, way over thinking it...

If the trailer is set up right, there should be VERY LITTLE weight on the bunks. The keel rollers should be carrying the weight and the side bunk are just there to stop the boat falling over. If you are carrying weight on the side bunks, adjust the trailer correctly (so there aren't carrying weight)...

Chris.......
          xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
          The world takes on a whole new perspective when viewed from 100’ below.
          1972 Bertram ‘Bahia Mar’ 20
          2006 Mercruiser 4.3MPI (0W617679) w/Alpha One Gen II (0W829301)
          (Original - 1972 '165' In-line 6. Previous - 1994 4.3LX)

Comment

Originally posted by achris View Post

Yep, way over thinking it...

If the trailer is set up right, there should be VERY LITTLE weight on the bunks. The keel rollers should be carrying the weight and the side bunk are just there to stop the boat falling over. If you are carrying weight on the side bunks, adjust the trailer correctly (so there aren't carrying weight)...

Chris.......
            Locally, very few if any bunk trailers have keel rollers.

Currently trailer shopping (roller to bunk) and have yet to see a trailer with keel rollers. Defeats the whole purpose of having a trailer without rollers to maintain.

Comment

Originally posted by dingbat View Post
              Locally, very few if any bunk trailers have keel rollers.

Currently trailer shopping (roller to bunk) and have yet to see a trailer with keel rollers. Defeats the whole purpose of having a trailer without rollers to maintain.
              Yeah, ok.... But that's just plain dumb.... The hull isn't designed to have the weight taken between the strakes. It's designed to have the weight taken on the keel, hence a keel. Taking the weight between the strakes is going to lead to the hull becoming distorted. I know this, because I've seen it. Seen a few boats with too much weight taken on the side bunks/rollers and the hulls develop 'hooks'.... That's what happens when there's no keel rollers.

Chris......
              xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
              The world takes on a whole new perspective when viewed from 100’ below.
              1972 Bertram ‘Bahia Mar’ 20
              2006 Mercruiser 4.3MPI (0W617679) w/Alpha One Gen II (0W829301)
              (Original - 1972 '165' In-line 6. Previous - 1994 4.3LX)

Comment

My boat is on the factory trailer and it has no rollers, either. Come to think of it, very few fiberglass boats around here have bunk trailers with rollers of any sort...
                Location: West Central Illinois, USA 1997 Larson 186 SEi Bowrider I/O Mercruiser 350 #0F747565 Mag Alpha One Gen II #1A270120 Transom and Deck Restoration Project on my '97 Larson Bowrider

Comment

Originally posted by achris View Post

Yeah, ok.... But that's just plain dumb.... The hull isn't designed to have the weight taken between the strakes. It's designed to have the weight taken on the keel, hence a keel. Taking the weight between the strakes is going to lead to the hull becoming distorted. I know this, because I've seen it. Seen a few boats with too much weight taken on the side bunks/rollers and the hulls develop 'hooks'.... That's what happens when there's no keel rollers.

Chris......
                  In the olden days trailers were an option, not part of a "package" put together by the manufacturers. As such, boat dealers set up the rig so it was right, and would last the owner a long time. Back them ALL trailers had keel rollers.

Along the way people complained about maintenance, so lots of things got cheaper. Since owners keep the thing only a few years, the dealers stopped caring.

Aftermarket rollers and brackets are available for the do-it-yourselfer. In fact the Stoltz poly self-centering rollers are better than anything ever made. I won't own a boat without them.
                  2017 Boston Whaler 150 Montauk & Mercury 60 ELPT Command Thrust & Merc 3.5 Kicker
                  Member ACBS, LBOA, AOMCI

Comment

Originally posted by nitsuj View Post
                    My last outing, the winch strap broke on the ramp. Not the strap itself, but the stitching holding the hook. Upon further inspection, I discovered that the winch itself was also getting a little sketchy. The gears aren't looking so hot, so I replace it with a Fulton F2 3200# winch. That despite their claim that it has a universal mounting system, it doesn't fit my trailer. But that's a story for another time. Here's my current issue. The boat was about 3" from the bow stop when the strap let go. Boat weighs about 4900#. Once I solve my winch problem and get one that fits, whats the best way to winch it home with out putting too much stress on the winch? I was thinking of picking up some weight with a jack under the transom then cranking on the winch slowly. Maybe I'm over thinking this, but I was worried that if I tried pulling a dry boat on dry bunks it might be a little much for the winch. Of course, I'm basing that on how hard it was to winch it up with my old winch, which was probably already half dead. What say you gents?
                    dunk it, use either new winch or tie old strap to bow eye to winch up, then replace winch
                    Cheesehead boating the Gulf Coast of FLA 27.51° N, 82.53° W

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
                    1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
                    2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheeseheads in Paradise"
                    1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

The bunks, in a perfect world, should be located under the boat's stringers. If those are supported well, and the transom is well supported, the boat should not have any issues with life on a trailer. As far as the hill idea, I believe the intention was to have the boat backed up the hill, to make it easier to slide it forward.

Comment

Originally posted by ahicks View Post
                        The bunks, in a perfect world, should be located under the boat's stringers. If those are supported well, and the transom is well supported, the boat should not have any issues with life on a trailer. As far as the hill idea, I believe the intention was to have the boat backed up the hill, to make it easier to slide it forward.
                        That is probably the correct assumption, but it doesn't make any sense. In order to back up the hill the boat would have to already be on the trailer. I sure wouldn't drive around looking for a hill with the boat hanging off the back.
                        Member ACBS, LBOA, AOMCI

Comment

Originally posted by JimS123 View Post

That is probably the correct assumption, but it doesn't make any sense. In order to back up the hill the boat would have to already be on the trailer. I sure wouldn't drive around looking for a hill with the boat hanging off the back.
                          The bow is only about 3" shy of the bow stop according to the OP. The boat is not hanging off the back of the trailer.

But if you tighten the winch strap and drive around looking for said hill, stop and re-tighten the strap every once in awhile. The boat will magically nestle against the bow stop after one or two times from the trailer bouncing. Speed bumps work great. This is far safer than jamming on brakes.
                          BOAT SPECS | FORUM HELP | STARCRAFT FORUM | SHOP iBoats
                          Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
                          That is what the forums are for.
                          Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Comment

Yes, snugging up the strap a couple of times on the way home works really well. That's generally my plan. That said, I avoid speed bumps, especially when loaded. Those can be really hard on suspensions. The trailer's and the tow vehicle's!

Comment

Sensible speed bump crossings won't hurt anything.
                              BOAT SPECS | FORUM HELP | STARCRAFT FORUM | SHOP iBoats
                              Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
                              That is what the forums are for.
                              Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Comment

Working...
                              X