Technology comes through . . .

tpenfield

Staff member
I don't do much trailering anymore, since I have a larger boat that needs a boat hauler instead of trailering. But . . . recently I was moving the family Boston Whaler around with our new Ford Explorer and took note of the wonderful feature this car has in lining up the trailer hitch. Just wanted to share . . .

The black line on the backup camera screen shows where the centerline of the car will go.

IMG_2935.JPG
Which is also where the ball hitch is going . . .

Making connecting the trailer a breeze :) :thumb:

IMG_2936.JPG

Gotta like the new(er) tech stuff for trailering. Once hitched, I still feel more comfortable backing the trailer the old fashion way though . . . :)

alldodge

Staff member
I like it

Wonder how well the trailer backing knob works, in commercials it shows easy peeze

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
You know about the + button at the top left of the display, right?

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
I look forward to learning more about this new tech.

I thought I wouldn't use much, or any, of the new tech on my new AWD wagon, but I'm getting to really appreciate it - especially as my own "tech" declines

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Not really :noidea:
The “+” button zooms in on the ball when you get close. No more getting out to see that you need to be back another 3/4 of an inch.

Perfect every time.

Auto backing is more trouble than its worth for someone with experience backing a trailer

alldodge

Staff member
Auto backing is more trouble than its worth for someone with experience backing a trailer

That would be my guess also, but I'm guessing we've all seen the guy in the boat and the wife trying to back the trailer in. Instead of letting the wife drive the boat and the guy backs it in. In this case I would assume it would be better

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I thought the "+" button was an app - Siri get out then hook up the trailer and get me a beer. No?

I have no hi-tech stuff and that last 3/4 of an inch is the worst thing for me. Some back and forth and jumping in and out until it's close enough to horse the trailer onto the ball. :doh:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I put an aftermarket kit on the back of my motorhome and it makes a world of difference, my wife refuses to drive the motorhome, so now I can back up to the trailer with no problems at all and get hooked up. It makes for less fussing and more funning when hooking the trailers up.

I have a second kit I am going to put on the truck, then no more fussing.

Last edited:

Cortes100

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I like it

Wonder how well the trailer backing knob works, in commercials it shows easy peeze

My 2018 F150 has the "Pro Trailer Assist". I have backed up trailers for many years but I'm man enough to admit I've used the new backup assist system. For all the $$ a guy pays for these trucks, I figured I have to see if it actually works. This new tech works as advertised.. Once you put the truck in reverse, press the button and take my hands off the wheel, truck does the rest. Still need to look in the mirrors where to go, but steering using the little knob. Once you point the trailer in a specific direction, the truck makes sure it gets there.
You still need to work the gas and brake pedals, but I'm sure it will help a lot of folks that have problems backing up a trailer.

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
A tip for anyone with a pickup and a backup camera, open the tailgate and hang the cables on the posts that the gate latch to. This will hold the gate half open and put the camera right over the hitch so you can see how you are lined up at the end.

alldodge

Staff member
My 2018 F150 has the "Pro Trailer Assist". I have backed up trailers for many years but I'm man enough to admit I've used the new backup assist system. For all the $$ a guy pays for these trucks, I figured I have to see if it actually works. This new tech works as advertised.. Once you put the truck in reverse, press the button and take my hands off the wheel, truck does the rest. Still need to look in the mirrors where to go, but steering using the little knob. Once you point the trailer in a specific direction, the truck makes sure it gets there.
You still need to work the gas and brake pedals, but I'm sure it will help a lot of folks that have problems backing up a trailer.

Cool, thanks

Lowlysubaruguy

Chief Petty Officer
The dealer I buy the most car parts from was telling me there are people with back up cameras that have broken and they wont pick there cars up ( parts can take a week to get) until there fixed because they no longer can back up a car without it.

Myself I love it and cant stand using a vehicle without it any more. I’m hoping to get a couch that will pick me up and carry me to bed at night now.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Up until 2 years ago my towcar was a car (land yacht) and I never had trouble backing up. Now I find that the SUV is even better at the launch ramp because the tailgate is up and the rear seat is down and you have a clear view of everything.

However, when I back into the garage I have to gave the tailgate down (or it would hit the garage door) and that $%#@ backup sensor just won't shut up because it thinks I'm backing INTO the trailer. The beeping drives me crazy and I can't shut it off.

Technology can be a double edged sword...

nitsuj

Chief Petty Officer
I like it

It actually works amazingly well. It's not replacement for knowing the old fashioned way, but it's one of those features you think will be a dumb gimmick that actually works. It doesn't take over the thinking, but turning a little knob 1/4 turn is easier than turning the steering wheel a million times. And where it really take some of the work out is going straight. Let go of the knob and the truck will instantly straighten out and keep you on a straight track. I haven't used it on the boat, but I use it all the time on my little cargo trailer. Next chance I get, I intend to set it up to work with the boat trailer as well. It wouldn't be a make or break feature if I were shopping, but its nice and I wouldn't shy away from it.

jbetzelb

Petty Officer 1st Class
Since a couple of you were man enough to admit using the pro trailer assist I guess I will admit to it also. I have backed trailers for 30 years. The assist makes is easier and I suspect helps people without a lot of experience. Programming the trailer into the truck pro trailer assist also helps extend your side sensors when your driving down the road. That is nice also.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
That would be my guess also, but I'm guessing we've all seen the guy in the boat and the wife trying to back the trailer in. Instead of letting the wife drive the boat and the guy backs it in. In this case I would assume it would be better

My wife backs the trailer down also... It seems really simple, but the absolute best thing that ever happened was cell phone coverage at the lake! We call each other and throw the phone on the dash of the respective vehicle on speakerphone. I essentially 'drive' the vehicle from the boat, telling her steering wheel movements. Works really slick, and we load/unload faster than nearly anyone else at the lake.

(my ramp is literally flat gravel on top, and then a 45 degree concrete slab that is 6 inches wider than the trailer, and falls off about a foot on each side. Even the most experienced backer won't be able to see their trailer for a significant portion of the back down to the water. Having someone in the boat on the phone is invaluable.)