Covering trailer tires to protect from exposure

Lowlysubaruguy

Chief Petty Officer
What’s the best material to cover tires with for exposure protection. I sew so I’m not limited to store bought covers. Canvas is appealing sunbrella is also an option from he aspect that they will will fold up better and probably not get all brittle like vinyl? It will breathe and maybe be cooler than vinyl as well. But I dont know. Or do they help much.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Anything that completely blocks the sunlight,.....

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
don't worry about temperature, it is UV that does the damage. Anything that blocks it is fine.

matt167

Captain
black plastic bags will work fine as the cheapest option you could possibly have. It is however more important that your tires are of a good quality to begin with. Too many trailer tires are just complete junk that nothing will help them.

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
I use black garbage bags, doubled up. I use the money I save on fuel for the boat

Lowlysubaruguy

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks I will probably make them out of Sunbrella to match the boat cover since my neighbors all think I’m rich now that I park that thing at home I might as well pop for ten more yards of Sunbrella. I new that was a mistake. My new boat cost almost as much as my house did back then. Its funny I bought bare land in 94 have done almost all of the work on this place myself but my neighbors think I’m rich ( there all my customers) there house payments more than my entire life expenses and they think I’m getting rich off of them.