12v power fuse...

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Click image for larger version  Name:	20190722_164446.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.21 MB ID:	10775375 Hey fellas
Which fuse supplies constant 12v power to the plug on the tow vehicle, providing there is one...

Thanks!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
What truck?

Fought this his battle couple of months ago on a F150. Turned out to be a 40 amp j case in the fb under the hood.

Not labeled as such. Just started pulling anything trailer related.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
2011 Chevy K1500. Found a toasted left turn, now just need power.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Google says fuse 1 and 3. Sounds right looking at your diagram

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Annnnd, there's no nuts and no fuse for the terminal I need, who knew!

strokendiesel002

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yes, I just wired up a Brake Controller on my buddies '14 Tahoe. Went through the same ordeal. Wired everything under the dash, tapped and loom, secured I to place and turned the ignition key to get... Nothing. Heart sank, then I thought about it and got on line. For anyone else looking at this, you'll need a 8x1.25mm nut and a 6x1.00mm nut if you want power for both the brake controller and auxiliary in the 7 Round. One wire is tucked down beneath the brake booster (coiled and tapped to the loom) the other is between the fender and power distribution center(coiled and tapped as well).

I called the local Chevy dealer to get the nuts for it, but after telling them I was adding this functionality to the vehicle and providing last 8 of the VIN and waiting 4 minutes on hold, he came back to say "so this didn't come with the vehicle and isn't listed" I confirmed his "discovery" (lol) and told him what size the nuts were and asked if he had any... He said they didn't so I just went to the hardware store. Save yourself the headache and just go there first (dealership is actually 5 minutes closer to me, so I thought I'd give em a shot, but lost far more than 5 minutes while being on the phone)

Oddly enough, the fuses were there on his truck. Good luck on your project!

Last edited:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Thanks for the info. I saw the wire by the fender too. I also need a brake controller. Now I get to drive 50 miles round trip just for 2 nuts and a fuse.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Most stores like Lowes, ACE Hardware and farm stores carry metric hardware.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Yeah, we have an L&M farmy like store that will have them. Everything is 25 miles away including groceries ..

strokendiesel002

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well, if you're still researching, I have a Prodigy P2 in my dually that I'm pretty happy with and I just put a P3 in his Tahoe, which is way overkill for him, but for the extra couple bucks and since he pays me with beers, I have now got to play with a P3 and I will probably be buying one for my truck. I pull probably 4 different trailers with electric brakes on a semi regular basis, and the ability to just recall the settings on the P3 is very attractive. Not needed, but cool none the less

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I take neither of these vehicles had factory tow packages. Already installed, plug and play on my Tahoe.

strokendiesel002

Petty Officer 1st Class
Me? Correct. "prewired" but not installed. Mine is a 2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 - bought originally by family friend to haul his Baja, which had surge brakes.

Buddy bought his '14 Tahoe a couple days after his wife took him to the camper store and told him they were going to buy a camper lol. There's a little more to the story, all of which I find amusing, as it's not my bank account and just another activity for us to do together as families

WIMUSKY

Staff member
It does have a tow package, 2011 didn't have the built in brake controller. I don't think my 2012 RAM did either, my '16 does.

I also need to replace this: https://www.autozone.com/trailer-wir...68393_772227_0

Sometime awhile ago, the way it looks, it came unplugged from the bumper plug. Which corroded some terminals, mainly the ground.....

I already had saved the Prodigy P2 awhile ago, so I'll get that too which will be overkill for me. My '16 RAM has 4 or 5 different trailer settings built into the display screen for the backup camea...

Prodigy doesn't have a plug n play adapter from the brake controller to the truck for my chev.... They have it starting in '14. I believed they did up to '06 or '08 too. But not for mine, of course...

Last edited:

strokendiesel002

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yeah it seems there was a couple of years there where Chevy and GMC decided that if you didn't buy the brake controller from them you were going to have to wire it all yourself but at least all the wires are there tucked up nice underneath the steering column.

They leave plenty of wire though so it's really not a bad job to do and one last thing to buy a guess in the end. the P3 came with two yellow butt connectors and two blue sorry really all you have to have is a decent set of stripper crimpers and some tape if you want to make it look nice. All my exterior or connections that are subject to whether I heat shrink but stuff underneath the dash in a shield up Tahoe gets a little bit of dielectric grease and I haven't had a problem yet.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Tekonsha (which makes the P2 and P3) sells a number of adapters for Ford, Chrysler and GM brake controller plugs... they don't make one for your vehicle? I just got one for about $10 for my F150.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
There's no plug for mine on the truck. Thinking about getting a chevy adapter and cutting the plug off and wiring it to the truck

strokendiesel002

Petty Officer 1st Class
WIMUSKY... you're kinda tossing money out the window - the harness that comes with the unit just gets connected to the harness that's taped up under the dash. Tekonsha at least I know provides the butt connectors. All you'd be doing by buying the extra harness and cutting the vehicle specific plug off, then wiring it... is "saving" the universal harness that comes with the controller...

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Didn't realize it came with a harness. Nevermind then about the harness adapter ..