Can I activate surge brakes while parked/detached?

MC3387

Cadet
So I finally bought a boat today after a 2 month search. Realized tonight when I parked it that my parking spot is on a slight downhill. I used chalks. But bet your a$$ I almost pooped myself when I detached my trailer from my tow vehicle and I could hear the boat and trailer creaking backwards about a quarter inch.
My trailer is a tandem axle, has surge brakes, upgraded to all disc brakes, and has a reverse lock-out solenoid wired up to the reverse light, so when you put it in reverse the brakes don’t lock up.
I would love it if there was a way to activate/lock-up the brakes while the trailer is detached from my vehicle. There’s a (probably) $100,000 Mercedes Sprinter camper van directly behind me and I sure would hate to get a call from my storage company telling me that my outdrive went through their front grill.

Kola16

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sounds like the Mercedes has you covered! No blocks required!

I am not sure that you would want to use your surge brakes in that sort of way just because it seems like it would strain the system and they might get frozen. I'm not sure if that would actually happen, but I have a better option.

Instead of using your brakes, run a chain through your spokes on the wheels and around your trailer. Or if it is a tandem axle you can run the chain between the two wheels. If the chain is tight the tires won't move.

Trimax also makes wheel chock locks that lock to the tires so the chocks don't skirt down the road and fill your pants...

tpenfield

Staff member
Use the wheel chocks . . . that is what they are for. The Mercedes will survive.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
No, you can't activate the brakes long term. No way to maintain pressure for any length of time.

Get a set of these. Your boat won't move. You can get various types of these, some are lockable if you have any security concerns.

Click image for larger version  Name:	locks.jpg Views:	1 Size:	24.2 KB ID:	10772233

carburated

Cadet
I live on a hill, and use big laminated rubber wheel chocks, like the big boys use. I think I paid around $40 each. Put one behind the rear tire on each side, roll the truck slightly back to let the trailer 'settle' into the chock, disconnect (after putting it in P and setting the e-brake of course). Good to go. It's not going anywhere.

MC3387

Cadet
Checked on the boat the next day and the Mercedes is fine. The boat stayed put. The seller was nice enough to give me 2 wheel chalks but they’re the hard plastic kind and they slide a little on the ground. I bought 2 more chalks, rubber ones, so I’ve got 4 chalks now. Might be over-kill but oh well.
Im a truck driver and I’m used to air brakes. Set the air brakes on the trailer before I detach.
anyway, thanks for the replies.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
go to a salvage yard.

open the hood on any S-10 or open the rear hatch on any S-10 blazer where the jack is stored

grab the stamped steel wheel chocks

most yards dont charge you for them, some may charge $1 they stack nice

I think I have about 15 sets of them around the garage in addition to the 2 pair in the truck

madsonp

Seaman Apprentice
I've been using a piece of 2X4 behind the wheels of any trailer I've owned for years, ain't lost one yet.