2002 Heritage single axle 18' bearing buddy service

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Just acqauired. Never saw anything like it. Not a Bearing Buddy with the zerk at the center. This is obviously a non-conventional axle bearing greasing device but how does it work and what kind of service does it require...I think I read it's unique to Heritage trailers.

Thanks,
Mark

its_shaun12

Cadet
While I can't speak to your specific setup I will share that I have a 2000 Load-Rite trailer which has the unique 'Reliable Sure Lube' system which supposedly lubricates both the inner and outer bearing without needing to worry about adding too much grease and is supposed to be very functional and without getting into too many details I will just say it has been proven to be less than reliable so I now make sure to get my bearings repacked / replaced annually so for you it may also be worth your time to have someone look it over fully to ensure everything is in good working order.

GlasV162

Petty Officer 1st Class
I looked at a Heritage trailer this winter and decided not to buy it because of the "vault" system. The selling dealer told me it is exclusive to Heritage, and Heritage or their dealers are the only sources for parts/service. While the 10-year warranty sounds nice, it doesn't mean the system won't fail--it just means Heritage will fix it if it does. If the system fails at 10 pm on the highway, that creates all sorts of other issues.

Instead, we went with a Load-Rite that has the sure lube system as well. Our previous trailer was a Karavan, which also had sure-lube hubs, and I never had a problem with them--but I maintained them regularly.

To me, the words "no maintenance" and "trailer wheel bearings" should never go together. Like a lot of forum members here, I take the time to maintain my trailer wheel bearings in my garage, before something happens...….no matter how much my wife teases me about it. :joyous:

Bottom line, if it were my trailer, I'd see about converting it to a system that is user-serviceable and for which parts are readily available.