shifting bunk boards

sycostang67

Seaman Apprentice
My trailer is in desperate need of new bunk boards, old ones are mostly held on with gorilla tape at the moment. I just ordered some new Ultimate bunk boards for it and new mounting hardware as well. When my boat is loaded, the bunks stick out past the end of the boat by a few inches. Should I mount the new boards further up or does it really matter? file1-22.jpegfile-44.jpeg

madsonp

Seaman Apprentice
I'm no expert by any means, but it looks to me like your boat is too far forward on the trailer, I'm thinking the bunks should be flush with the back of your boat, that's how mine are. Do you have any adjustability where you can move your bow stop back a bit ?

Tnstratofam

Commander
Bunks should be at least even with the transom for proper support. If they are a little past like yours are that is okay as well. You just don't want them in past the transom as this can put stress on the hull in a place that can cause a hook to form. Although I don't know how long that would take on a fiberglass hull.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Normally I would say the boat is too far forward, but looking what the bunks are supported by, It looks like the Transom is almost directly above the support. Moving the boat back would place the heaviest part over the an unsupported piece of 2x4 or 2x6. So I would leave it there, and move the bunks forward
On my trailer, using parts from the trailer manufacturer, I beefed up the areas where the the bunks are attached to the trailer, ensuring the bunks are supported over a greater and won't bend from heavy weight rearward of the rear cross member. I did the same on the trailer prior to this one too.

Click image for larger version  Name:	SX195#10b.jpg Views:	1 Size:	377.4 KB ID:	10766396

Your engine is a 74, what HP?

Last edited:

madsonp

Seaman Apprentice
Zooming in on the picture, it looks to me like the bunk is supported by the cross member underneath which the transom is ahead of, which still leads me to believe you're to far forward. Also is that a roller I see to the left ? And it looks like your transducer mount is loose and needs to be properly sealed and tightened up.

Attachments

• photo316223.png
    photo316223.png
    469.4 KB · Views: 0

Cortes100

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I would move the bunks forward a couple inches, so they end up flush or even sticking out a 1/4" . You'll get the proper support, and also those two attachments (speedo and transducer) won't get ripped off if you load up a little crocked.

sycostang67

Seaman Apprentice
The bow stop is adjustable as it clamps on to the frame. I don't think it's ever been moved as if it slides back it will cover the vin tag..or whats left of it. It also looks to me like the transom is directly over the support brackets so moving the boards forward a few inches shouldn't hurt anything as transom support seems to be the main concern. The trailer does have rubber rollers down the center though the boat seems to high up to ever need them. I believe this is a matched boat/trailer combo, both are the same year, manufacturer and matching stripes. I doubt those bunks are original though. file-47.jpegfile-48.jpeg

Cat nip

Petty Officer 1st Class
It fits perfect, i would just shorter the bunks just a little.