Is bow stop supporting weight?

Wave34

Petty Officer 1st Class
I need to know if the bow needs to be supported on the bow stop roller.

I'm asking because I see that my winch tower is not adjusted like it should, (bow hook not touching the bottom of the roller, and boat could move 2'' more forward) but the bow is snung on the roller.

I would like to jack the bow from underneath, move the tower accordingly, then lower the bow.
But doing so, will let the boat not touching the roller, until I tow it to the ramp, so it will not be supported while driven on the road.

Is this bad?
If yes, how can I move the boat forward in my driveway. It weights 7500 lb.

Thanks.

ahicks

Captain
Some trailers can flex enough to cause what you are talking about. The only way to really tell for sure is to check to see where the boat is at on the trailer. Look in back to see that the transom is supported securely. Make sure the boat was pulled up far enough the last time it was loaded.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
It's called a bow stop roller, not a bow holder upper roller. :smile:

Pics work better than words to help with your concern.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Can't unbolt, parts of, or the complete Winch Stand to make the adjustments??

Wave34

Petty Officer 1st Class
Can't unbolt, parts of, or the complete Winch Stand to make the adjustments??

Yes I can unbolt, but my concern is if the boat doesn't touch the roller all the weight will be supported by the bunks which are placed more at the back and the weight of the bow will stress the hull.

But like FA Boater said it is a stop not a support. I just need to make sure it is ok to move the winch tower without the bow being in contact until I drive to the ramp next time.

Wave34

Petty Officer 1st Class
It's called a bow stop roller, not a bow holder upper roller. :smile:

Pics work better than words to help with your concern.

Yes it is a stopper.
But it looks to me like it is supporting some weight, but I'm new to boats so I may be wrong.

Here are some pictures of how it is now.
The boat should move forward a couple of inches to be flush at the back with the bunks, so I need to move the winch tower forward, and lower the rollers so the 'loop'? rests against the roller.

BTW, is there an advantage to have two rollers on a pivot like that? Or only one fixe roller is better?

IMG_20190705_071540.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20190705_071540.jpg
    IMG_20190705_071540.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 1
    IMG_20190705_071540.jpg
    IMG_20190705_071540.jpg
  • roller.jpg
    roller.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
  • roller.jpg
    roller.jpg
  • roller.jpg
    roller.jpg

ahicks

Captain
Your issue is what I had thought originally. The last time you loaded the boat, it wasn't pulled up far enough onto the trailer. You don't need to do a thing - other than remember to pay more attention the next time you load the boat. Maybe check this while still on the ramp when you pull it out next time? If not all the way up, re splash it and snug up the winch line a bit more - and re-check.

Wave34

Petty Officer 1st Class
Your issue is what I had thought originally. The last time you loaded the boat, it wasn't pulled up far enough onto the trailer. You don't need to do a thing - other than remember to pay more attention the next time you load the boat. Maybe check this while still on the ramp when you pull it out next time? If not all the way up, re splash it and snug up the winch line a bit more - and re-check.

We had the trailer far in the water and were not able to crank more.

It is a new trailer to me. When it was delivered last fall, the guy adjusted it with jacks under the boat, and it was perfect... in the driveway, but I used the boat 3 times this summer and each time we can't crank it to the bow stop.

I think that the initial adjustment was done with the boat too high on his jacks, just a thought.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Move the Winch stand forward about 3 inches and lower the Winch, so the upper Roller/Stop is just above the Bow Eye. Also replace the Winch with something with more capacity than a 750lb model.

Wave34

Petty Officer 1st Class
Move the Winch stand forward about 3 inches and lower the Winch, so the upper Roller/Stop is just above the Bow Eye. Also replace the Winch with something with more capacity than a 750lb model.

That's what I wanted to do, but if I do that the bow won't touch the roller until next time I go to the ramp. Is it ok to have the bow 'in the air' while trailering? I'm concerned about the weight at the front of the bunks.

Wave34

Petty Officer 1st Class
Here is the marking on the winch.
You think it's not strong enough? The boat weights about 7500 lb loaded.

Click image for larger version  Name:	capacity winch.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.51 MB ID:	10766655

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Well, take some Wrenches to the lake the next time you go boating and make the adjustments there. Your Winch is the one used on trailers for 12 and 13 foot utility type boats

ahicks

Captain
You might consider backing the trailer a little further into the water when retrieving - far enough where what you have will work.

I wouldn't consider a temporary slight gap there too big a deal. Wouldn't surprise me if the boat felt a little bouncy on the road or in the rear view mirror, but that would be worst case.

Wave34

Petty Officer 1st Class
Update; I moved the tower 2.5'' to front and lowered the winch about 1''.
Now it seems worst than before.
I was not able to crank the boat forward, maybe it is the reason.

The way I did it, is I cranked the jack the most I could, I put wood blocks under the hull, then lowered the jack so the hull is supported by the blocks, and there is no more contact or weight on the rollers. I then moved the tower and cranked the jack to remove the blocks.

Question, is a bunk trailer supposed to be able to support AND balance the boat without the winch tower installed?
I feel that my boat or trailer requires the roller support to level the boat.

Here is a video of my setup:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1jp...-5cJjvoAUwq4Wz

And the way the bow sits after the adjustment.

Click image for larger version  Name:	stopper new position sm.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.36 MB ID:	10769428

Last edited:

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
On my bunk trailer, the bunks completely support the boat's weight. The boat snugs up against the bowstop and maybe transfers a small amount of weight to to the bowstop, but the it does not support the boat. I believe it's more to help draw the boat fully onto the trailer, to secure the boat and prevent any forward movement should there be a sudden stop.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Pics of your entire setup, boat on the trailer... As someone else mentioned, that winch is meant for a under 16 foot boat. Your boat is just slightly larger! General rule of thumb is that the winch should be rated at around 3/4 of your boat weight, as the winch ratings go down quite a bit as the drum winds up.

Having that winch on a trailer big enough for your boat is strange, so I'm curious if the rest of the trailer is similarly sized. In your one pic, it looked like your bunks are at least a foot or more from your transom. I'm betting your trailer is way, way too small for your boat.

Last edited:

Wave34

Petty Officer 1st Class
Pics of your entire setup, boat on the trailer... As someone else mentioned, that winch is meant for a under 16 foot boat. Your boat is just slightly larger! General rule of thumb is that the winch should be rated at around 3/4 of your boat weight, as the winch ratings go down quite a bit as the drum winds up.

Having that winch on a trailer big enough for your boat is strange, so I'm curious if the rest of the trailer is similarly sized. In your one pic, it looked like your bunks are at least a foot or more from your transom. I'm betting your trailer is way, way too small for your boat.

I agree for the winch. It needs a bigger one. jimmbo also suggested a bigger winch.
I will start shopping for one.
7500 lb X 0.75= 5600 lb. The biggest one I saw online is 3500 lb. Do they exist that big?

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
My dealerships says about 50% of the boat weight, so a 3500 or 4000 lb should be enough

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Spray the bunks down with silicone lube when it is off, that will also help reduce the load on the winch. It's recommended around 3/4's of total boat weight. Don't know if you can find a manual winch that goes up to 3/4th though, without going electric.

If you don't need all 20 or 30 feet of strap, you can also shorten it, which increases winch pulling power quite a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:

tpenfield

Staff member
Were you the guy that had the question about moving the trailer axles last fall (Oct. 2018)? Did you ever move them, or just working the bow stop to get the desired tongue weight ?