axle rating

Begester

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1991 EZ Loader tandem axle trailer and I am replacing the axles. I only have the VIN number on the title...no ID plate on the trailer or axles. Is there any way to determine what the proper axle rating is? The hubs are 5 lug, and the boat weighs about 5k pounds loaded + another 1200 for the weight of the trailer.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

ahicks

Captain
In a perfect world, the axle would be rated for about twice the weight you plan on carrying with it. The weight of your rig is going to make that difficult.

Suggest you call Dexter Axle with the info you've given to see what they say. Maybe browse their website before you do that. I'd be inclined towards torsion tube axles myself if replacing. I think you'll find Dexter very helpful and easy to speak with.

eric102

Seaman
Not much help here since my weight tag is missing as well but I have a 92 EZloader tandem trailer (bought new late 91) with 6 lug wheels and on the sales contract its called a 7,000 lb trailer. Don't know if that means the boat/trailer combo is 7,000# or that it can take up to a 7,000# boat. Hopefully the later since the trailer weighs 1,750 lbs and the boat over 6,000 wet.

I would guess your 5 lug axles are probably rated at 3,500 each.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Your state registration and/or title may have the GTVW listed since many states charge fees based on gross weight.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I would call Dexter, they are one of the best around. Also you might be able to email the serial number the EZ and they might still have the information on that trailer to let you know what the ratings were on it when new.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
contact EZ loader with your vin number

http://www.ezloader.com/

they will give you a complete parts breakdown with part numbers and pricing for your vin. while at it, get the shipping weight too in the event you ever need that bit of information for registration in different states.

Most likely you have axles rated at 3500# each, and the trailer will have a 4500# or 5000# rating

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Pull one of the hubs and measure the spindle diameters where the inner and outer bearings sit. 1-1/16 outer and 1-3/8 inner bearings are typical for a 3500# axle.

Leardriver

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have bought three new trailers in the last couple of years, all with Dexter axles. So, I have read a few brochures, and on MY Dexter axles, 5 lug is 3500, 6 lug is 5200, and 8 lug is 7000+.