Winch post buying help

timharper89

Petty Officer 1st Class
Long story short, I was almost one of those people who lost their truck and trailer I'm the lake during loading. I managed to save the situation mostly, but, whether it was this way before it not who knows, now my winch post is cracked just near where the u bolts tighten it down. Looking online I have no idea where to start with shopping for a new one. What do I need to know, where do I look, what is a good price for one that will be for my 3000 pound boat? Any help or tips appreciated. Thanks

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Just went through the same thing, as my tongue and winch stand were damaged when a tree dropped during a storm.

There are a few on Amazon sold by Die-Matic, look good, supposedly made in USA.

Best place I found was eastern marine.

They handle many brands and original replacements for many trailer manufacturers.
You can buy the post, the post and winch base, or a post winch base and winch.

eastern marine dot com/boat-trailer-winch-posts-mounts
What you need to know:
width of trailer tongue
distance from trailer tongue to where you want the bow roller to be.

if just buying a post, buy one the same as the one you have.
Prices range from $50-$125 for a post, and
$125-$300 for a full assembly.

I bought a full assembly and winch, plus a 6' tongue for $300, plus $85 3 day shipping from
Delaware to northern Wisconsin.

wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

timharper89

Petty Officer 1st Class
With the post I have, the winch sits on another post resting inside the winch post held from falling in by a u bolt. Is this how it should be? It can wobble a smidge, which makes my wife a little uneasy, but I figured that was how it was supposed to be.

In regards to the size, should I assume any size that will fit my trailer is strong enough? Most of the posts I see do not have a capacity rating.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
So the winch post slides inside the main post? A pic would help. Sounds like someone fitted an extension on the existing post to get it to fit. There should be no play or wiggle to the post. Imagine if worst case scenario, the post slid out and up. I think you need a taller post.

timharper89

Petty Officer 1st Class
So the winch post slides inside the main post? A pic would help. Sounds like someone fitted an extension on the existing post to get it to fit. There should be no play or wiggle to the post. Imagine if worst case scenario, the post slid out and up. I think you need a taller post.

Here are​​​​are some pictures https://photos.app.goo.gl/rUfHTquuyEQj49mk8

Don't mind the straps, just what we did to make it home.

Last edited:

timharper89

Petty Officer 1st Class
It looks like it was made this way because the paint is the same as the trailer with the same amount of rust, and the second post doesn't actually have anything on the bottom to connect to anything and doesn't look like it was hacked off. It is a bass pro trailer with a single 6000 pound axle and 2"x6" frame. Most posts I find are for 3" width trailer tongues, and the 2"ones I find come with 600-1000 pound winches making me think it isn't strong enough for my 3000 pound boat.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
looks like the weld at the bottom was repaired poorly before. I guess at this point, I'd take it to a good welder, have it repaired properly, and weld the upper post in also. You could just drill the upper post and bolt it also.

timharper89

Petty Officer 1st Class
looks like the weld at the bottom was repaired poorly before. I guess at this point, I'd take it to a good welder, have it repaired properly, and weld the upper post in also. You could just drill the upper post and bolt it also.

I had considered that. Perhaps I am bad at shopping for these, but I am having very little success finding something I need. Can't seem to find anything that will fit a 2" trailer that looks like it was made for something more than a jon boat.

timharper89

Petty Officer 1st Class
Is there any way to find what make my trailer is? There is nothing I can see near the tongue anywhere.

timharper89

Petty Officer 1st Class
Trailer identification help

Looking for help with identifying my trailer. It appears to have been spray painted at one point. I can't find any numbers or branding anywhere on the trailer. My winch post is cracked, and nobody can seem to help me get a new one without identifying the trailer. The trailer is a single 6000 pound axle with a welded on master cylinder. About 22.5 feet in length (holds my sundowner 195), 100" from outside of fender to outside of fender, 15" 6 lug wheels, made from 2"x6" beams, 4 bunks. Must be steel because of the rust, and the only identifiable information is a serial number on the axle and maybe a date of manufacture of the axle. Only info on the title says the weight is 627 pounds. Pictures are at this link https://photos.app.goo.gl/75Di6Yb1ZPfmCMDD6.
is there ANY way to identify this trailer?

Last edited:

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
You have a kind of odd ball trailer, 2 x 6 tongue is unusual.

Probably going to have to get a base made, then attach your winch and bow stop assembly to it.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
in my experience problem with trailer ID's is when new it's really easy to read the "sticker ID" on them, unfortunately stickers fade and fall off...not like a VIN on an engine that's stamped in... wish I could offer you something useful

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Take the winch post off and take it by some welding shops. Either they can fix it or fab a new one.

Your title has no VIN?

timharper89

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ended up taking it to a welder who is going to make one for me. Called and looked a bunch of places, and without a trailer Vin, or at least make, I'm SOL. Eastern Marine didn't have anything the right size and strength either. Having one made won't be as pricy as I thought. Guy quoted me around $125. We'll see what the bill is next week when I pick it up.

strokendiesel002

Petty Officer 1st Class
Your trailer has plates - it's titled - is there not a make/ serial number on the title?

Did you try calling the phone number on that sticker/ looking up that phone number online to see who it was associated with?

Nice job taking it to the local guy, good to keep stuff local when feasible, don't forget to post the final product!

timharper89

Petty Officer 1st Class
Your trailer has plates - it's titled - is there not a make/ serial number on the title?

Did you try calling the phone number on that sticker/ looking up that phone number online to see who it was associated with?

Nice job taking it to the local guy, good to keep stuff local when feasible, don't forget to post the final product!

Sorry I haven't been on here in a while. I had checked the title with the same thought, there is nothing there to ID it. Just some generic trailer with a year make that I don't remember off the top of my head. I also did try looking up online with nothing even close. The number listed on the sticker is no longer working. I will try to remember to get a picture when I get home Tuesday. I need to paint it as it is already getting rust on it.