Bow stop position?

Jeffe74

Seaman Apprentice
I did a little work on my trailer today, replaced all the keel rollers and bow stop. The bow stop seemed to be up really high, looked like the eye would almost hit it.

From what I've read on here, you would normally want the eye to come up to the back of the bow stop. I don't think that's possible here because of the way the hull is shaped above the eye.. becomes a much wider angle.

I moved the bow stop down to where it is now, but not sure if that's correct.

Any ideas or opinions? I don't have any experience putting boats on trailers.

Thanks,
Jeff

Attachments

• photo315001.jpg
    photo315001.jpg
    497.5 KB · Views: 2
  • photo315002.jpg
    photo315002.jpg
    628.4 KB · Views: 2

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Tilt the stop higher so it's above the eye and run the hook under the stop.

That way if the boat shifts forward the eye stops at the stop.

Judging by the paint shadows, put it back the way it was.

What is the hook on the bottom of the winch stand in place of a bolt?

Jeffe74

Seaman Apprentice
The stop was never above the eye, it was right behind it. I think I would need a wider angle stop to put it above, I'll have to check in to what's available.

There are two of those hook/bolts not sure what they are. I'm guessing they're factory.
I thought , maybe , to help with tie down?? Don't know.

Thanks

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I would dump the hooks and use proper bolts. The winch is clamped to tongue with those bolts and it only has half the clamping power with the hooks, A prior owner added them.

On the bow stop, once again a prior owner may have set it up like that or the trailer was for a different boat originally. You can lift stop bracket up by drilling a few new holes.

The reason for placing the bow stop above the bow eye is in case of an accident and the boat shifts forward, the bow stop stops the boat from riding up and over the winch post. The boat then stops in you truck bed or trunk and maybe on the road.

Another safety thing is adding a chain or strap from the bow eye to the frame, again to hold the bow down in case the winch fails, which happens more than people think. A winch shouldn't be relied on except to pull the boat onto the trailer and not to keep it on the trailer.

Jeffe74

Seaman Apprentice
Okay, thanks again.
I'll take your advice on the bolts. I wonder if those hooks were used to strap on a spare tire

​​​​​​My grandpa bought the whole package in 1970 or 71, so that's the only reason I think the bow stop was how it was.. :)
I will try to mount it in front of the eye, though. I can see the advantage.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Looks like the strap on the winch is installed backwards. It should come off the top of the spool.

Jeffe74

Seaman Apprentice
The strap is hanging loose in the pic, it does actually come off of the top.

I don't know about having the stop above the eye. The eye is right at the top of the 'v' in the hull, above it is the transition to the blunt round nose of the boat. It would need to be a really wide angle stop.

It would have been nice if they had put the eye a few inches lower.

oldrem

Commander
This is how I did mine. Everything in the turnbuckle assembly is rated at least 50% greater than the weight of the boat and motor. Takes less than a minute to undo or setup.

Bow Stop and Tie Down Complete.jpg

Jeffe74

Seaman Apprentice
That looks like it should stay put.

Thanks, I'll figure something out