Trailer Slides

Criv69

Seaman Apprentice
Have you guys ever used trailer slides? I have a 24 pontoon that I have no choice but to launch it by myself every year. I usually find someone at the ramp to help me push it off the trailer but it's usually quite a bit of work even after backing in as far as I can. I'm interested in getting some boat slides to put on the front half of the trailer.

My question is do they work and is the difference appreciable? Thanks.

batman99

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have boat trailer guides for my 17ft bow rider boat and love them. Especially for loading / unloading on windy days. IMO, trailer guides (side rails) should be minimum factory build. Hope this helps in your research.

gmacp58

Cadet
The sliders definitely work on my 17' Trihull. The first time I used them, I backed up to the water, the boat was not even wet yet I then unhooked the winch and the boat slid off of the trailer and into the water without being touched at all. The sliders DO WORK, but maybe TOO Good. Just make sure that the boat is ready to hit the water when you back it down the ramp.
IF YOU UNHOOK YOUR BOAT AT THE TOP OF THE RAMP, THE BOAT MAY SLIDE RIGHT OFF ONTO THE PAVEMENT. Leave your winch hookup to be the last undone, before hitting the water

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Another thing to try, if you haven't already, is silicone spray. I used that on my carpeted bunks and I was impressed at how much easier the boat slides on and off. The bunks need to be dry, of course, but it does wonders. And it's pretty inexpensive...

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I personally won't own a carpeted twobyfore bunk trailer, but I have owned several with keel rollers and swinging bunk rollers in combination with carpeted bunks for extra support. The slides I have used are the EZSlide brand, and they have worked fantastically well on fiberglass hulls.

My only failure was on a light tinny with an unpainted aluminum hull. The slides didn't work at all. Now, before anybody comments, the bunks did not line up with any strakes or rivets or seams. They rode on smooth aluminum. I ended up getting rid of the wood and installing roller bunks.

With your setup I would imagine that you don't have many alternatives. If you DO decide to try them, do the whole bunk, not just half.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
I personally won't own a carpeted twobyfore bunk trailer, but I have owned several with keel rollers and swinging bunk rollers in combination with carpeted bunks for extra support. The slides I have used are the EZSlide brand, and they have worked fantastically well on fiberglass hulls.

My only failure was on a light tinny with an unpainted aluminum hull. The slides didn't work at all. Now, before anybody comments, the bunks did not line up with any strakes or rivets or seams. They rode on smooth aluminum. I ended up getting rid of the wood and installing roller bunks.

With your setup I would imagine that you don't have many alternatives. If you DO decide to try them, do the whole bunk, not just half.

Keel rollers for a 24' pontoon ?

Yes the slides CAN help, if the log surface is smooth, painted, and rivet free it will work better.

Finding a way to back further in would be better, or switching to o cantilever trailer would work too, but they are a pain in the butt in my opinion.

If those aren't viable options, how about an tend-a-hitch ?
It is basically a second trailer tongue, mounted below the current tongue.
Get ready to launch.
Disconnect, slide 2nd tongue out, attach, and back her in.

https://extendahitch.net

Sounds like it would be good in your situation.

Click image for larger version  Name:	rs=w:370,m,cg:true.jpg Views:	1 Size:	37.0 KB ID:	10761800

cr=w:388,h:194.jpg

Cat nip

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have run carpet and the slick bunks on my 22' nose heavy pontoon and the slick bunks work better than carpet. You could also try to let out a few feet of the strap but leave it hooked up and locked and when you get the toon most of the way in pump the brakes a few times hard to get the toon to slide back a bit and make the push or drive off easier. I just fire up the motor and put it in reverse with as much throttle as the controller will allow and walk to the back of the boat, it usually comes rite off smoothly.