Tongue Weight - Insight or Folly?

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
My buddy called to tell me his new trailer was fishtailing, so I went over to take a look. The boat was set up perfectly on the bunks and rollers, so we agreed that moving the axle was what was needed.

As we were standing there deciding how to proceed, the wife came out and said "why not just put a steel box on the tongue and fill it with lead?" We both agreed that it wasn't a half bad idea. The only space available was on the front section, before the swing hinge.

I surely think it would functionally solve the problem. Anyone think of a reason that it wouldn't be a wise move?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Better move axis further back say 4 to 6 inches and test, don't want a super heavy weight at tongue.

Happy Boating

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
How much added weight are you talking about?

One problem is when the swing is swung, the box of lead will be supported by only one half of the hinge and the tongue could be twisted by the weight at a right angle to the tongue.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
How much added weight are you talking about?

One problem is when the swing is swung, the box of lead will be supported by only one half of the hinge and the tongue could be twisted by the weight at a right angle to the tongue.

About 100 pounds.

Yes, you're right about the swing hinge. Looking at it again, there is a perfect spot just after the winch stand and right at the A-frame. It'll be less effective there, but it won't affect the swing.

The thought was just what I was looking for - keep them coming...

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Better move axis further back say 4 to 6 inches and test, don't want a super heavy weight at tongue.

Happy Boating

Surely, that's what most people would do. But did the Lady have a better mousetrap? Patentable?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
No.
Lead is for bullets, and maybe sinkers.

And moving the axle is free.

tpenfield

Staff member
I am wondering if there is enough 'stuff' in the boat that can be moved to the bow for towing :noidea:

Might be easier than the lead or the axle moving.

tramsdell

Banned
If only 100lb os needed it seems that a drop hitch would be sufficient. How long is the trailer? Like 1/2 inch could* be all you need.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
move the cooler of beer and ice forward.

each case of beer is about 40#

ahicks

Captain
Why drag around an extra 100 pounds for the rest of the time you own the boat? Moving the axle shouldn't take more than an hour or so.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
My buddy's dad owned a gas station and he has literally tons of old wheel weights handy, so the lead is free.

The hour it would take isn't free - its beer drinking time wasted.

Looking at the boat configuration, there is nothing that can be moved without creating a hassle.

The extra 100# in the overall scheme of things won't seriously affect gas mileage, so its a non-issue.

I asked the question because I thought it was a novel idea, and just wanted to see if others could come up with a reason not to do it.

ahicks

Captain
If that idea appeals to you (100 lbs of ballast), maybe consider adding something more useful? Like a spare tire and a good solid mount? Or get fancy and come up with a way to mount an extra hub in practical manner? A heavy duty tool box maybe? Something with a little more purpose seems like a more practical option from where I'm sitting....assuming you have an open mind on the topic.

GA_Boater

Before getting carried away adding stuff to the tongue, put some temporary weight in bow of the boat and do a test tow.

Have you weighed the current tongue to see how heavy is? Something tells me you could move the boat forward a few inches and not upset the boat's posture on the trailer.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Before getting carried away adding stuff to the tongue, put some temporary weight in bow of the boat and do a test tow.

Have you weighed the current tongue to see how heavy is? Something tells me you could move the boat forward a few inches and not upset the boat's posture on the trailer.

The total weight of the rig is 3500 pounds. The original tongue weight was 80 pounds, and fishtailing (duh). We moved the boat forward a few inches, which raised the weight to 105 pounds, with success up to about 40 mph. The second boat move positioned the aft rollers right at the transom (no more movement possible), which increased the weight to 145 pounds and rode OK up to 50 mph.

Our highways going to all the local ramps are at or below 55 mph. Ideally, i'd like him to have 245 pounds on the tongue, just for an extra cushion.

GA_Boater

Rollers or keel rollers/bunks?

The age old forum request - Pics? :smile:

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Mine is about 3400 lbs and and I have about 120 lbs on the hitch and it doesn't fishtail at all, even at 130/kmh(80 mph)
Is the axle straight?
Is it 90 degrees to the Centerline of the trailer?
Axle centered relative to the Trailer Centerline?
Is the trailer Level, or very close to level, when on the hitch?

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0643s.jpg Views:	1 Size:	236.3 KB ID:	10754480

ahicks

Captain
If the tires on the tow vehicle, or the trailer, are allowing a lot of sidewall flex due to design or under inflation, that can get a trailer swaying too. Worth checking before getting too far into a remedy.