Having trouble getting a level trailer

chartersj

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am having trouble getting my boat trailer to ride level. I am using an adjustable reese hitch on the highest setting and it is still not enough. The hitch on my venture trailer is bolted to the top of the tongue. Is there a way to lower the hitch on the trailer which would in turn raise the tongue? I don't really like the adjustable hitch as it makes for more slop as well. Truck is a gm 1500 with stock suspension but the truck only squats a couple of inchs with the boat on.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
You must have a really low trailer

My coupler is on top and I’m using a 2” drop on a F150. Has the heavy tow suspension package so squat is nil.

I was trying to “level” the trailer but the equalizers wouldn't work right. Called the trailer OEM and was told trailer designed for 18-21” ball height.

The 2” drop put me at 20”. The trailer is not “level” but pulls like a charm

Last edited:

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer
Lower the hitch 'til it just covers the ball and latch hitch, hook the lowest chain link you can and tighten them. Raise the tongue jack and see what that does for you.
Mike

gsh

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Can you take a picture of the problem?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I am having trouble getting my boat trailer to ride level. I am using an adjustable reese hitch on the highest setting and it is still not enough. The hitch on my venture trailer is bolted to the top of the tongue. Is there a way to lower the hitch on the trailer which would in turn raise the tongue? I don't really like the adjustable hitch as it makes for more slop as well. Truck is a gm 1500 with stock suspension but the truck only squats a couple of inchs with the boat on.

throw away the adjustable draw bar and get a simple drop bar.

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
I had that problem with the trailer under my 250 Sundancer when hooked to my GMC Sierra HD and just took a draw bar with zero drop and turned it upside down. Problem solved. You can see in the picture how the surge actuator/coupler sat on top of the frame. That was fixed when I converted the trailer to electric brakes & removed the actuator/coupler.

bowpulpit-1.jpg

chartersj

Petty Officer 1st Class
Can you take a picture of the problem?

I will next time I have it hooked up.

The problem I am having is the front of the trailer is down from the rear. I had a drop hitch upside down which gave me 4 inch rise which wasn't enough, now I have an adjustable one on that gives me 6 inch rise and that is also not enough.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
interesting. never seen a surge coupler attached to the "top" of trailer tongue... I needed a rise too... went with BW hitch...

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
interesting. never seen a surge coupler attached to the "top" of trailer tongue.. how is that connected?. I needed a rise too... went with BW hitch...

Alumarine

Captain
You could get a new surge coupler that fits down on the tongue.
The picture doesn't look that bad.
How much lower is the front from the back?
How much does the boat and trailer weigh?

chartersj

Petty Officer 1st Class
You could get a new surge coupler that fits down on the tongue.
The picture doesn't look that bad.
How much lower is the front from the back?
How much does the boat and trailer weigh?

I am thinking that's what I will have to do. I notice on the new venture trailers the hitch turns down like on "Blind dates" trailer that he posted a couple posts ago.
Would rather not add a leaf on the truck, don't want a stiffer ride the rest of the time. Trailer doesn't have brakes anymore, being used in the salt its a never ending battle.
I believe it is around 3 inches difference front to back with the adjustable ball hitch on the highest setting.
The dry weight of the boat is 4700lbs, not sure what the trailer weights but it is aluminum after the tongue.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
4700 pounds and no brakes? around here we are required to have brakes on anything over 3000 pounds. But what I would do if you are sure you want to run without brakes is take that surge coupler off and get a heavy duty coupler that fits around the tongue and then get things set up correctly.

I pull mine with a Silverado 1500 and have no problems at all with the way it tows and I am actually a bit high on the coupler.

MRS

Commander
I had the same setup on one of my trailers on a old boat just take the setup you have on now off since brakes do not work any how. Buy a new coupler and bolt it to the trailer frame I did add electric brakes to it also easy to do lowers it about 3 inches.

chartersj

Petty Officer 1st Class
4700 pounds and no brakes? around here we are required to have brakes on anything over 3000 pounds. But what I would do if you are sure you want to run without brakes is take that surge coupler off and get a heavy duty coupler that fits around the tongue and then get things set up correctly.

I pull mine with a Silverado 1500 and have no problems at all with the way it tows and I am actually a bit high on the coupler.

I have been looking around but cannot seem to find the ones your talking about. I would like one like the surge couplers where the socket for the ball hangs down but that is not the surge type.

chartersj

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a new coupler on the way which should help my issue, But I will still have to use the adjustable hitch on the highest setting with it. I was wondering why I couldn't have the new coupler welded to the bottom of the trailer tongue?