Axle, hub and bearings replacement on a jetski trailer

dlogvine

Master Chief Petty Officer
I took my jetski to the lake first time this year. On the way home the tire blew up and by the time I was able to get of the freeway, there were only chunks of rubber stuck to the rim. Unfortunately tire pieces damaged the fender, it was twisted and bent and covered in rubber particles and grease from the hub. Also, when I looked at the hub, the bearing was gone and hub was loosely sliding left and right along the spindle, spraying all over the place the bearing grease. I managed to put a spare tire on and take the trailer to the storage, lucky for me it was only a couple miles away. Took off the axle today and checked out the hub. The spindle on the axle looks intact, also is a hub itself. However the bearings are gone from both sides and Im still going to clean everything up to check out the state of the inside of the hub. The question is, should I buy a complete new hub kit, or if the hub is good, just the bearing kit with the new seal and cups? Also are these bearing kits standard for the 2000lbs axles or should I measure the inner and outer diameters or take them to the machine shop to measure. And the last question, what is the best place to buy the replacements? I saw quite inexpensive hub replacement kits for under $60 for both at Walmart online. Thx

dlogvine

I found a good traile shop in Mesa AZ, SpecTrac. They had all the parts I needed, fairly inexpensive. Upon closer inspection and after cleaning all the extra grease, I found out that one side of an axle, where the blown tire was, the spindle was seriously scored and had about a 1/8" groove of about an inch long. The hub on that side was also damaged, so I got a new axle, one hub, a couple bearing buddies and the replacement bearings for both hubs for around $200. Will assemble all tomorrow and post pics.

CJ River Rider

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Same for me, I blew a bearing on the way home and scored the axle. Don't know where you are from but I got mine from Trailer Parts Superstore in Delaware.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
Been there.. 6 years ago bought a heavy cuddy on single axle trailer with not enough axle.. a few bearing blow outs later... replaced everything, axle, breaks, hubs, put breaks on it... recently sold it, was best part of the deal :) never had a problem after installing new stuff. just sold it.... bought a new toon and outboard.. 2200 lbs of toon and 115 merc sitting on a new galvanized Shorelandr tandom with breaks.. capable of 4500 lbs.. no more trailer stress for me... Ive done that, it sucked

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
PMs are a good idea, even on a brand new trailer. The only issue I ever had on the highway was with a new trailer in the first year of use. Even though the tire manufacturer replaced the defective tire under warranty, a blown tire on the interstate is not fun.

ahicks

Captain
This call needs to start with the spindle. If (fingers crossed here), you can get the inner bearing off the spindle leaving the spindle in good shape, and the area just inside that where the seal runs is in good shape, THEN you can start thinking about just replacing the hub. I would measure the ID of the bearings you need and make sure they match what you are buying. Close is usually good enough. What you want to avoid are hubs set up for the older straight spindle style.

If the spindle is damaged, generally you would replace the axle, and that generally comes with new hubs as part of the deal. Unless somebody is trying to rip you off, replacing the axle should be less than 200 complete (150 wouldn't surprise me). You would need to add any labor or new u-bolts to that number.

dlogvine

I inspected the axle, both the spindle and the hub were damaged beyond repair. The races on the hub were gone and the hub was severely scored and had a couple of deep grooves on it. The spindle was scored and had about an inch wide 1/8" deep cut. That warranted replacement of the axle and one of the hubs. The second hub was good, also im going to put a new bearings on it as well. My friend who owns a jetski rental place advised me one store in Mesa AZ, SpecTrac. These guys were really good and their prices were reasonable. The axle cost me $83, I chose a little longer axle so instead of 530-12 wheels I can put a pair of golf cart wheels. The hub was another $18 and total purchase, including some welding, ubolts and bearing buddies, ran me $163. A new bearings for the hubs I bought at the autozone for $21 a piece. So all the damage was repaired for a little over $200. Will put pics of all the parts and the trailer later. Also I will have to weld a fender, which was bent and almost torn by the blown wheel. I already straightened it and will have to wait for the summer school in college that I work to start so I can get access to a good MIG welder.

dlogvine

[No message]

Attachments

• photo312528.jpg
    photo312528.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • photo312529.jpg
    photo312529.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • photo312530.jpg
    photo312530.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0

ahicks

Captain
Yup, good call! Now you can trailer without concern - as long as you keep your maintenance up to date....

dlogvine

Here is the fender welded and all mounted. All that is left is to clean the fenders surface and paint it. The tires are a little wider for the fenders but beggars not choosers, will work as it is. Will post the final painted pics tomorrow

Attachments

• photo312750.jpg
    photo312750.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • photo312751.jpg
    photo312751.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0