Recommendations for an sub-$10k SUV w/ min of 5000 lb tow capacity

sublauxation

Lieutenant
No aluminum body, haven't looked at the build sheet yet to find out the rear end (maybe should have before buying but towing isn't my primary use and the price was more than right. Because it was flat land I didn't engage the "tow" mode so maybe that will make a difference?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
No aluminum body, haven't looked at the build sheet yet to find out the rear end (maybe should have before buying but towing isn't my primary use and the price was more than right. Because it was flat land I didn't engage the "tow" mode so maybe that will make a difference?
It could be.

I have the aluminum body and the heavy tow package with a 3.55 rear. Can't comment on tow haul mode. Always use it when towing.

The engine is hard on plugs. Ford says 100K but mine where toast at 35K. Made a big difference in mpg.

sublauxation

Lieutenant
Mine needs plugs, guess that could easily cause a bigger change in mpg under load couldn't it!

jkust

Rear Admiral
Probably hard to find them under 100k but the low end Chevy Trailblazer or the upscale Buick Rainier or the very upscale SAAB 9-7x and the GMC Envoy. All the exact same vehicle with cheap GM parts except the Rainier and the 9-7X only came in on demand AWD and not selectable 4wd like the Trailblazer and the Envoy. Still have a Rainier with the 5.3 and a SAAB 9-7X with the 5.3. (The SAAB also had a 400hp engine option) They each towed my 6500lb boat with ease. These vehicles are dirt cheap nowadays and come with either a locking rear diff which is a huge advantage or the 9-7 came with a limited slip diff which is nice as well. Have had my 9-7x for about 100k miles and has cost me a grand total of $300 as literally it won't break or wear out. Have had the Rainier for about 110k miles and had so many things replaced when it was still under warranty I don't even recall them all but has been good since that warranty expired several years ago.

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
Very good to be debt free! I'm late to this post but I would look at a 2011 or 2012 Dodge Durango - make sure it has the factory towing package and with the V6 it can legally tow 6200 lbs. Without the factory tow it's like 3500 lbs.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Fuel economy depends to a large extent on how you drive, what you drive, how what you drive is equipped, where you drive, conditions you drive in, and what you are hauling or towing at the time. The only way I could be convinced of the better towing economy of a small turbo engine is to make the comparison myself. Towing takes power. Power is not free. Turbos pump air, more air = more fuel to make that power. So unloaded or lightly loaded there is the inherent (but not guaranteed) better fuel economy. Heavy loaded and heavy "footed" I would need to convince myself in "my world". Is the payoff, if there is one, worth the complexity.

98Shabah

Chief Petty Officer
2016 Expedition with the 3.5 twin turbo here (with a tow tune). My previous tow vehicle was a Ram 1500 with the hemi, 8spd trans, 4wd, crew cab, it got around 12mpg towing my tritoon.. The Expedition gets 9-10mpg towing the same boat, but the expedition chugs up the hills like a freight train, losing no speed, and doesn't need to downshift, making it easier on me, the driver. 87,xxx miles on the expedition so far, 5k mile oil changes, 3rd set of spark plugs, and the only issue I've had is a torn diaphragm on the electric blow off valve, $30 part, 5 minute job, and probably tore due to the extra intake pressure with the tune (20psi versus the stock 15psi).

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
Just put a hitch and 7 way on our 2017 Honda Pilot. towing new Starcraft 20 ft toon with 115 merc.. shorelandr tandom with breaks on all (4) wheels (surge).. boats 1850lbs, motor 370 lb, trailer bout 1k. Im towing less than 3500lbs.. Pilot good for 5K. breaks are everything... little wear and tear on tow vehicle.

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Picked up a 2006 Jeep Liberty for my daughter. Got a great deal but had to do some work to get it freshened up. Still out of pocket less than $4000 and the thing has been trouble free and reliable since I turned my 16 year old free in it 2 years ago.

The thing is 4 wheel drive and a tank. Tow capacity 5000 lbs.

If you are looking for low maintenance through 200K+ get a 4 Runner.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I really like my wife’s 2013 Durango Crew with the Hemi .
‘I think the max tow capacity is like 7200 / 6500 .
‘And gas mileage is not bad really ..

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
The Expedition gets 9-10mpg towing the same boat, but the expedition chugs up the hills like a freight train, losing no speed, and doesn't need to downshift, making it easier on me,
That's horrible fuel mileage?
What rear end are you running? Pulling a #5600 boat I'm getting a little over 13 mpg.

98Shabah

Chief Petty Officer
That's horrible fuel mileage?
What rear end are you running? Pulling a #5600 boat I'm getting a little over 13 mpg.

It's the 3.31, and i'm towing a lead parachute (a toon). What type of boat are you towing?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
It's the 3.31, and i'm towing a lead parachute (a toon). What type of boat are you towing?

Running a 3.55 with the max tow package.

22 foot Walkaround with hard top, full curtains with a 150 gallon fuel capacity. #5600+​​​​​​​ depending on fuel weight

Attachments

• photo312131.jpg
    photo312131.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 0

USA_boater

Petty Officer 1st Class
Any thoughts on the Jeep Grand Cherokee?

I have several of them, all older (98-04), all v8 4x4...I tow my 2 boats with them. I got one a few years ago from a dealer w/103k HO v8, nav, etc. for 8k. I like the older ones because of the solid front axles. However, unless you know how to turn a few wrenches, I can't recommend a Jeep. They are great vehicles but will start to break at 100k and need a steady supply of work & maintenance. I drive these for reasons other than towing and I am now heavily invested in their platform. But if I was someone who drove a sedan and was just looking for a cheap tow vehicle that meets your parameters, I'd be looking at Chevy/GMC V8 truck/SUV's as new and as low mileage as fit budget and I'd even consider 2wd if that got me closer to where I needed to be if just for towing on-road. You might even be able to find a 3/4ton Chevy longbed, reg cab, non-diesel and throw on a camper shell and have a decent tower as long as you don't need to haul a car load of people. If so, look at a tahoe/yukon or suburban. Chevy is cheaper to work on and easy to get parts and the longer, wider wheel base will be much better than the Jeep.

Having said all that, if you need to daily drive this tow vehicle, that might change my opinion somewhat...I don't recall above if you were going to daily drive it or not. My 04 Overland although old, is still like a Cadillac to me fully loaded and can go wherever I need to go. I too am interest in a travel trailer and if I stick with the Jeeps, I'll have to look at smaller ones than I 'd be looking at if I had the Chevy.

QuickPuppy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks for all the replies... keep ‘em coming.

Yes, whatever we end up with to replace the minivan will be my wife’s vehicle. I have to far a commute to work to be driving a gas hog everyday.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Picked up a 2006 Jeep Liberty for my daughter. Got a great deal but had to do some work to get it freshened up. Still out of pocket less than $4000 and the thing has been trouble free and reliable since I turned my 16 year old free in it 2 years ago.
The thing is 4 wheel drive and a tank. Tow capacity 5000 lbs.

Based on my own previous history, I wouldn't think of ever towing with a liberty unless you like replacing transmissions, especially if it has the 42RLE in it.

Three replacements in under 100k, zero towing.