Recommendations for an sub-$10k SUV w/ min of 5000 lb tow capacity

QuickPuppy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Since we are committed to staying debt-free, I’m looking for recommendations for a good sub-$10000 SUV with a towing capacity of 5000 lbs or more. We will be frequently towing a boat locally and going cross county with a camper next year. Ideally I’d like the mileage to be under 100k.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
something with a V8, 4 wheel drive and a towing package.

the longer the wheel base, the better for towing.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Since we are committed to staying debt-free, I’m looking for recommendations for a good sub-$10000 SUV with a towing capacity of 5000 lbs or more. We will be frequently towing a boat locally and going cross county with a camper next year. Ideally I’d like the mileage to be under 100k.

The “or more” will cost you dearly. Puts you into Expedition and Suburban territory.

What kind of camper? Shape and frontal area play a big role in vehicle selection.

briangcc

Commander
You're talking newer Dodge Durango (2016 up - 6200 w/V6, 7400 with V8), Toyota 4Runner (5000), Toyota Highlander (5000), GMC Acadia AWD SLE-2 (2016 or older for 5000 towing), Chevy Traverse AWD (needs SLT cloth and tow package for 5000), and a few full sized. In those bodies, you are not getting (at least in my neck of the woods) a vehicle for under $10k that ISN'T over 100k miles. You're looking in the 100k+ territory and realistically in the 150-200k range.

SUV's are the hot ticket item and dealers, even used car dealers, know it.

porscheguy

Chief Petty Officer
You won’t find many SUVs under 100k miles and under $10K. Personally I’d look for a clean GMT800 series Tahoe or suburban. They’re legit truck based SUVs. The high mileage can be offset by readily available parts and low prices on parts. The GMT900 series Tahoe and suburban could also be a consideration, but prices on them are holding high despite the fact that they suffer from a few issues that could be pricey (AFM lifter failure). If you’re handy with tools, either one is a safe bet.

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
First what is the weight of your boat and trailer? And what is the weight of your travel trailer loaded? Knowing that will rule out or rule in a lot of vehicles. Also how many passengers, spouse, kids, friends, dogs ??? Do you plan to hall around in it?
I understand you want to remain debt free but going cheap on a tow vehicle may be very expensive. If you get some used up piece of garbage it may cost $$$$ in repairs and major headaches when you break down on the road somewhere.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
after having done the SUV thing a few times, I would really recommend a 4-door truck. all the benefits of a SUV, all the benefits of a truck, however not the high price tag the SUV has. plus you can haul much much more than you can in an SUV

QuickPuppy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Currently we have the Larson 186 Sei and a small popup. However, the reason that we have the small and light camper (1400lbs empty) is because we were limited by our 15 year old minivan’s tow capacity. We wanted a much larger one but it was going to be over 3500lbs when loaded. The boat with steel trailer is probably going to be under that weight but I won’t know until I’m done with the rebuild and get it on a scale. I really want a tow vehicle that I will have plenty of overhead as far as what it is capable of. 5000 lbs of actual tow capacity should be more than enough. I want the AWD or 4x4 to be able to get up slippery boat ramps and around my muddy yard.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
your boat, motor, fuel and gear is about 3000#. single axle trailer about 1000#. add anything as far as gear to the back of the tow vehicle and you hit 5000# quickly, if not exceed it.

if you stick with this boat and dont plan on upgrading, then you can stick with 5000# of towing capacity. if you even have the faintest itch of twofootitis, then I suggest you shop accordingly

my old 2003 S10 blazer had 5800# towing capacity. however the short wheel base made it squirrely pulling a boat, especially at highway speeds with a cross-wind. I sold it with 123k on it for $2k and bought a truck. so you can find older vehicles to fit your needs.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I have that same boat on a steel trailer, and it is a heavy boat for that size. For local hauls, I think a beefy SUV might be OK, as long as you have brakes on the trailer. I would not want to do any long distance trips, especially involving hilly or rough terrain, with an SUV, unless it was something like a Suburban. I'm guessing fully loaded with fuel and whatever else gets stashed in the boat, you could easily hit or exceed 3500 lbs...

briangcc

Commander
Any thoughts on the Jeep Grand Cherokee?

Yep. Buckboards. Every last one of them I've ridden in. Even had one as a loaner while waiting on collision work. Drove like a tank...and that's NOT a good thing. Look elsewhere is my advice.

Trucks are dirt cheap....just got mine for $224/mo on a lease. In my area they're running Tundra Crewmax's at $239/mo and the cabs in these are a cavern....I had a 2016.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
There are some out there, but it will be tough to find with under 100,000 miles.

AWD and 4x4 actually lower your tow rating on most vehicles.

Ford Explorer
Chev Trailblazer
Grand Cherokee

Trucks:
Ford Ranger
Toy Tacoma
Nissan Frontier crew cab

I almost bought the Frontier a couple years ago, but settled for a , well I settled, and regret it now.

https://www.carfax.com/vehicle/1N6AD07U79C416959

San_Diego_SeaRay

Petty Officer 1st Class
In 2016 I purchased a 2002 V10 Ford Excursion w. 165k miles for $3400 to pull my 7k lb boat. Probably overkill for your application but I have no regrets. GREAT vehicle.

(Actually if I had to do it again I'd get 4X4. But at your weight I don't know you'd need it)

Last edited:

sublauxation

Lieutenant
Expeditions tend to be cheaper than Tahoes/Suburbans. At that price range you'll be dealing with a 5.4 but just keep some ear plugs, a spark plug socket and an extra coil pack on hand and you'll likely be OK!

If you're going to mostly tow with it I'd consider what towing MPG will be. I went from an Expedtion EL with the 5.4 to a F150 SuperCrew with the 3.5. I loved the around town mileage of the 3.5 eco boost until last week when I finally towed the boat and I can say with pretty high confidence that mileage withe the 5.4 towing on the highway was at least 2.5 mpg higher, probably more like 3.

My wife had an Explorer with the non turbo 3.5. I wouldn't feel comfortable towing heavy things with it and gas mileage was about the same as my F150 and most importantly the F150 is considerably more comfy to sit in.

I've been watching an Excursion for sale along side the road for the past 8 months and it's getting harder to pass up. I don't recommend sitting in one unless you're willing to buy it because they are that comfortable and I'm pretty sure you'd have no towing issues!

Lowlysubaruguy

Chief Petty Officer
I see a number of Tahoes or Suburbans for sale well under $10K with under 150,000 miles that are well cared for. My last 3/4 ton Silverado had 269,000 miles on it when i sold it. Point here is you might find something for $7000 that’s clean and well cared for that will leave you a little left over to deal with service work repairs etc. Personally I am GM guy that works on Asian cars and own a Dodge PU and a Ford tow truck and a few GM s . Everything breaks pick a well cared for what ever make you like have it inspected before you buy it and you’ll be in better shape.
My take on mileage of used cars and mileage. I see a lot more 125,000 to 175,000 mile cars that are priced right and in decent shape then 100,000 mile cars that are priced right an in good shape. There are a lot of people who neglect there cars or abuse them or both and then sell them at lower mileage. Number one question I never get the real truth on is why its being sold when we do pre purchase inspections and the lower the mileage the more I want to know why.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I went from an Expedtion EL with the 5.4 to a F150 SuperCrew with the 3.5. I loved the around town mileage of the 3.5 eco boost until last week when I finally towed the boat and I can say with pretty high confidence that mileage withe the 5.4 towing on the highway was at least 2.5 mpg higher, probably more like 3.
interesting....thats opposite my experience towing #6500.

Aluminum body? What rear end do you have in your F150

Last edited: