Tube trailer rewire

aburke120

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Going to rewire my trailer. There's a hole in the front on both sides of the tongue, a hole where the side lights are, and a slot at the rear. I'm having thoughts of how to get the wires to the side lights. The holes are only about a half inch with grommets, I can't see how to add wires to pull in and still be able to wire the side lights. Any help? thanks.

joeanna

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Use a long piece of wire, tape to wire and pull through. A vacumm cleaner to suck a length of string through, Just some ideas. I've also used a small tube to run a length of pipe and fed my wire through it, then pulled the tubing out.

Last edited:

Scott06

Vice Admiral
I used an electricians fish tape to pull it through. Side wires was able The get a hooked coat hanger in the hole to pull the wire out and crimp on the splice connectors a bit of a pain but got it done

aburke120

Petty Officer 2nd Class
thanks guys, I can get the wires from front to back but wondered if anyone had any tips on getting the wire out to hook up side markers.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
small piece of wire with a hook on the end and you fish it out

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
1/2 inch hole is a cavern! This is why God invented coat hangers. :D

Or long thin needlenose pliers.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Just remember, your side lights are not the same as your brake lights or turn signal lights. So use the appropriate wire when connecting the side marker lights up.

tpenfield

Staff member
Agree with the methods mentioned. If there are existing wires, they may be useful in pulling new wires.

I did a small trailer re-wire last year (tube type of trailer). Things were going well until I encountered the bee's nest :eek:

So, take a look first for any hidden surprises :)