Question on mounting new keel roller brackets.

mikeyk101

Seaman
On my trailer, I have 2 short bunks on the rear of the trailer along with 3 keel rollers. The keel rollers on there now are maybe 3-4" wide. I want to add 2 self centering keel rollers as I have had a devil of a time getting my boat back on the trailer properly. I plan on removing the rear roller and putting 1 of the self centering rollers in its place. The brackets for the self centering rollers are 12" wide and have already found out that none of the existing bolts are going to line up. In order to mount it, I would also have to remove 2 other bolts that are going to be in the way. Instead of drilling new holes, I want to use u-bolts.

My question is, does it matter which side of the frame I mount the bracket to? If I go to the inside (towards the front of trailer) I dont have to mess with those bolts that would be in the way. I also plan on mounting my second centering roller on the next crossmember and that too has bolts in the way so I want to use u-bolts to also mount that bracket to the front part of the crossmember. My gut says that it shouldn't matter which side of the frame rail they are mounted too, only that they are properly adjusted in height to the keel.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
If you mount the last one on the inside there is the possibility that the stem could hit the metal bracket or the cross member if the water level and trailer angle are just right. Mounted on the outside the stem will hit only the rubber roller. Any rollers mounted forward will not matter because the boat will already be partially on the trailer.