Adjusting tongue weight

brihen

Seaman Apprentice
Hi. I recently repowered to a larger jet drive and now the tongue weight is too light. I haven't weighed it but just by being able to lift it by hand. The sales person suggested I move the axle back 4", or set the boat further forward on the trailer. Well unless I'm missing something it looks like the fittings for the leaf springs are welded to the frame ? So in regards to moving the hitch post forward does this seem like a good way to go? Also if needed could I get a post that did not have the end roller so far forward. Any help of suggestions will be appreciated.

Attachments

• photo310182.jpg
    photo310182.jpg
    896.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo310183.jpg
    photo310183.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • photo310184.jpg
    photo310184.jpg
    919 KB · Views: 0
  • photo310185.jpg
    photo310185.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • photo310186.jpg
    photo310186.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you are correct, those are the two methods of adjusting your trailer and boat to move the CG forward

easiest way will be to move your winch post forward and to move the landing gear accordingly

you can remove the rubber cap on your winch post and cut it down if needed, touch up with cold galvanizing spray, then re-install the rubber cap.

brihen

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for the replies'I will be giving them a shot.

brihen

Seaman Apprentice
Any thoughts on how I can move the boat forward once I move the post? I am thinking of lowering the front of the trailer so the tongue is on the ground, wetting the bunks and trying to winch it the rest of the way? This is other than launching the boat and retrieving it, since I would like to do the work at home.

Bondo

Staff member
Any thoughts on how I can move the boat forward once I move the post? I am thinking of lowering the front of the trailer so the tongue is on the ground, wetting the bunks and trying to winch it the rest of the way? This is other than launching the boat and retrieving it, since I would like to do the work at home.

Ayuh,..... Just wettin' the bunks might be enough,..... the winch oughta do the job,....

ahicks

Captain
That's a light enough boat where I don't think you'll have any trouble pulling it forward with the winch.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Big crank looking thing..... As you turn it, boat moves forward.......your winch will pull the light boat forward no problem