Boat trailer leaf springs

Boat-ryder

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Broke a leaf spring recently and I'm having some trouble finding a replacement. Hoping some of you could help.

They are 4 leaf double eye springs. The measurement from center of eye to center of eye is 26.5 inches. This is with the spring off and sitting on a table. the arch height is 4 inches.

All I can seem to find is 26'' and 27'' springs, nothing in between. I'm also not sure what my axle capacity is. The vin plate on the trailer has a GVWR of 3000 lbs and a max carrying capacity of 2280 lbs.

The most common options are 26'' long with arch height of 4.25''. and I can get a capacity of 1150lbs per spring or 2000lbs.

Any ideas?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
It is probably a 26" spring that has drooped a bit over the years, Trailer parts Superstore has a 26" 3000lb spring with a 4.5 inch height.

Do you know who made the trailer, because a 26.5 inch double eye spring is not a common one.

Boat-ryder

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Marine Group LLC is the manufacturer. So do you believe I have a 3000lbs axle which would mean I should get 1500lb leafs?

porscheguy

Chief Petty Officer
Remember a leaf spring will flatten out as it ages. This will reduce the arch height as well and increase the overall length. So your current springs probably started out at 26” and 4 1/4 arch.

did you also measure the width of the spring? the more info you have when searching, the more you narrow down your choices. Boat trailers aren’t rocket science. And most trailer builders are grabbing hardware and accessories from the same or very similar part bins.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Do yourself a favour and upgrade to a Torsion Axle.