Aluminum Trailer Restoration.

sbs59

Recruit
Restoring an older 28 ft.Boat Master aluminum tandem trailer, and an odd original design has me searching for answers/advice here. The trailer has 2 main aluminum I beams running front to back. They run parallel to each other from the back of the trailer toward the front for about 12 feet, then as usual they angle in towards the front hitch forming the typical V shape. The issue with this trailer is that the I beams also bend downward by design after this 12 ft area, which leaves the tongue wanting to sit quite low to the ground to keep the bunk area level. If i raise the tongue more than 10-11 inches off the ground, the front set of tires starts to come off the ground...not good when thats the axle with the brakes installed. Anyone know why it would have been designed like this? I have a new Ram truck with the ball mount over 20 inches off ground. I can get a drop down ball mount to help some, but i think i will have to add shims to the front axle to get that set of tires to sit slightly lower than rear axle. Any ideas with this type of trailer? I should add that this is without a load on. The aluminum is actually quite flexible and i can get the tires to touch ground by jumping on it in this location, so do i assume it will be okay under load?

sbs59

Recruit
I was able to get the I.D. number off the trailer and gave it to a guy at Boatmaster Trailers. He was able to pull up the original build info and confirmed the trailer was not bent down like this at the factory, nor was he aware of any design being like this on purpose.So, long story short...this trailer was bent somehow. Unbelievable downward force must have been applied somehow resulting in the aluminum I beams bending downward at the weakest point...the original factory bend.
Added shims to the front axle as needed to be able to get the tongue up to its normal height. This causes the bunks to slope slightly backwards from level,but really not to bad. Road tested today and pulled/braked great. All is well.

briangcc

Commander
I'm not an expert so take the following with a grain of salt but....

IF it's truly bent that badly, I'd be seriously concerned that the metal is fatigued and would give way. I wouldn't be running the trailer but instead looking for a replacement.

Pictures would help and you'd need another post before you could post a few for those much wiser than I to chime in on...

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Post pics. It sounds like you need a new trailer

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I was fighting a somewhat similar issue with a galvanized trailer.

Ever since I changed the springs a couple of years back, the equalizers where heavily offset towards the front of the trailer. They returned to their normal "equal" position once the height is removed from the trailer. Weighed the boat and checked the tongue weight and everything was normal. Scratched my head a bit and continued on.

Fast forward to last week when I'm setting up my new F150 to tow the boat. A quick calculation showed that I need a 4" drop to match the ball weight of the Tahoe it replaced. Hooked up the boat and took it around the block to see how it felt. Pulled into the drive and noticed that the tongue was level but the rest of the trailer was "sagging" between the axles and the tongue throwing the rear of the trailer out of level a good bit.

Install 0" drop draw bar and the tongue was going up a hill pretty badly but the rear of the trailer was fairly level and the equalizers where even. Concerned that tongue was bent, I contacted the manufacturer who told me the ball height should be 18-21" off the ground. Measured the ball height at 20 3/4".

Don't know....never had this problem with a Tahoe before I changed Springs. Maybe a combination of the Tahoe suspension dropping over time and a change in axle geometry when I changed the springs. No idea but all seems well know.

briangcc

Commander
Dingbat - we really need pictures from the OP but from his description here's how I read it....

Back half of the trailer is level with the wheels. Front half where the rails swing/bend in to connect up to the tongue are bent downward at a pretty good rate. Manufacturer states the trailer wasn't constructed in this manner - ie should be a straight trailer from rails all the way to the tongue. To compensate for the bent trailer the OP raised the tongue up to level that out which in turn caused the back half of the trailer to now dip due to the bent frame.

IF all the above is true as I'd written it, it sounds to me like that trailer is an accident waiting to happen and I wouldn't be running it as is.