Jon boat trailer guides suggestion

Tailhook

Cadet
I recently purchased a Lowe 1648 with guides installed on the trailer. ..two 90 degree bend 2" square tubing with 46" X 2" PVC slid down onto the tubing. About 16" of the metal tubing goes vertical into the PVC. This arrangement is pretty weak when you are trying to load on a windy day. Has anyone found guides /side bunks made for jon boats that work well ?

tramsdell

Banned
I recently purchased a Lowe 1648 with guides installed on the trailer. ..two 90 degree bend 2" square tubing with 46" X 2" PVC slid down onto the tubing. About 16" of the metal tubing goes vertical into the PVC. This arrangement is pretty weak when you are trying to load on a windy day. Has anyone found guides /side bunks made for jon boats that work well ?

Mines a modified jet ski trailer, the side bunks are on a pivot, and i can bungee the rear of said to the fenders to kinda funnel me in, once its forward enough the boat puts pressure on the side bunks and the bungee stretches and the bunks go straight. Works for me

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
dont back the trailer in so far. use the winch, that is what its there for.

the pvc side guides are more of a visual thing.

ahicks

Captain
You have to whack 2" PVC pretty good to break it. Any stronger and you're talking about something that's going to scoot a light trailer sideways when you hit it! Wondering if you had actual PVC on it, or something lighter/not as sturdy?

tramsdell

Banned
dont back the trailer in so far. use the winch, that is what its there for.

the pvc side guides are more of a visual thing.

Winch? Jk haha at least with my "custom" trailer the winch is kinda useless due to height of the bunks. Once yer deep enough to load, your kinda too deep to bother with the winch. I feel like any jonboat would be similar on anything but a steep ramp. Theres just not alot of length to work with.

Tailhook

Cadet
Thanks for the input guys . I went to Home Depot today. .got some sched 40 PVC ..a lot stiffer than what was on it. I never had a boat this lightweight before, wind blows it around like a leaf . I may still try to add some side bunks (bungee tension is a unique idea )..bottom bunks are flat..no guidance to speak of . 10-4 on back in depth. ..all the boats I've had liked something different.

​​

Cat nip

Petty Officer 1st Class
I had some from cabellas that were guide on rollers . The rollers were about 20" tall and you could match the angle of the boat and set them as high as you needed. I had to cut them down to fit my lowe roughneck 1455.

ahicks

Captain
Jon boats will float on a wet rag. You don't need to back them in very far at all. Some ramps you don't even need to submerge the trailers fenders.