Bunk Board Question

pilldok

Seaman Apprentice
I just replaced my tri-toon trailer's bunks with 2x6x20 treated.This trailer is used maybe once a year or every other year if I need to service or clean the boat (I live on the lake so my boat is kept in it's slip 365 days per year). I'm appoximately a half mile from the nearest deepwater ramp so the towing distance is miminal. I have never and do not plan to tow the boat with this trailer for any longer distance. Can i skip covering the bunk boards with carpet or any other covering, slides, etc.? I have six 20' boards so its pricey to carpet them. Since the boat is a tri-toon I'm not concerned about scratches or cushioning the hull and since my ramp is always deep water I'm not concerned about shallow loading.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,....... My only concern would in a long term situation, as P/T chemicals eat aluminum,.....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I wouldnt use PT lumber on an aluminum boat. the wet PT will galvanically destroy the aluminum

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Maybe use some composition type 2 by's. They make a lot of "plastic" material wood looking products that could fit the bill. JMHO

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
If the OP is only using the boat once every one or two years for a haul-out for service, would you still be concerned about PT wood? Seems like you'd need some pretty long-term contact before any corrosion would take place. Is there any length of time that would be safe for the aluminum or does the corrosion really happen fast. Just curious...

Scott Danforth

Staff member
If the OP pulls it out, then removes the boat from the trailer, that is one thing

however if the PT sits with the aluminum on it, for even a week, he would have some serious pitting from the salts in the wood.

the OP could put a thin sheet of UHMW on top the wood to isolate it. something like bunk slides or similar

pilldok

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for yall's help. Didn't know about the problem with alluminum and and the PT wood. I guess specifically my concern is about the actual loading, unloading, and trailering with no material on the wood bunks. Is there any reason I shouldn't? Again, my boat is a tri-toon.

Attachments

• photo310053.jpg
    photo310053.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1

Scott Danforth

Staff member
the carpet is so that the bunks dont spot-polish the toon logs by the wood. it also dresses it up

nothing wrong with white oak or cypress against your toon logs. just not PT

however you will need to put hard plastic on top of them or change the wood to non PT.

Cat nip

Petty Officer 1st Class
Is it just me or are the bunks bowed up in the middle?