Hub vs Buddy Bearing

Stinnett21

Chief Petty Officer
Seeking opinions on how many times on average a hub can withstand a Buddy Bearing removal and install before you start to loose the buddy bearing

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
I’ve owned my boat and trailer for 12 years. I repack my bearings every year and no hint of any problem with the bearing buddy’s so far.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
assuming you dont damage the hub or bearing buddy, and you have a good quality hub (not the chinesium imports), a few hundred times

Stinnett21

Chief Petty Officer
Wow that's not been my experience. I currently have 2003 UFP hub/rotors. Recently converting from oil to grease. This make the 3rd time for removal/insert. I use the standard method of removal, hit softly as possible with a dead blow and 180 degrees. Seems like now the BBs are going half the way in before any significant contact is made. Very nervous about loosing them. Isn't it true that every time that you remove them it bell shapes the hub somewhat?

DouglasW

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm not sure how many times I have removed them in the 40 years I have owned my sailboat trailer, maybe 20 times? But I did lose one the last time I used the trailer. It had to be within the 3 blocks of my house to the ramp, so I walked it to try to find it. No luck (may have come off in the water), but I did find another one by the side of the road. So, that makes two times for somebody ;-).

MRS

Commander
I use to use them but if you do your bearings every year I figured why do I need the bb buddy's? I do not use them any more and never had a bearing problem.

Stinnett21

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks for the replies guys! I read on a post or two, after an exhaustive search, that you could actually tighten up the hub bore by tapping the edge of the bore with a 4 pound sledge. Anybody ever try this? Sounds kinda hard on the outer bearing to me unless the opposite side is supported. I have disc brakes on all four so the thought of disassembly of the whole deal is a real PITA.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Wow that's not been my experience. I currently have 2003 UFP hub/rotors. Recently converting from oil to grease. This make the 3rd time for removal/insert. I use the standard method of removal, hit softly as possible with a dead blow and 180 degrees. Seems like now the BBs are going half the way in before any significant contact is made. Very nervous about loosing them. Isn't it true that every time that you remove them it bell shapes the hub somewhat?

Not sure bearing buddies are compatible with UFP hubs. UFP hubs have a proprietary bearing size, and their own unique bearing protector. Never had a problem with UFP parts on UFP hubs

robert graham

Admiral
Maybe a few wraps of electrical tape around the BB where it meets the hub to help hold it on???

The Force power

Commander
what I found helpful; apply a small amount of Permatex around the edge of the BB before you tap it onto the hub.

To be honest, I'm not a fan of BB and reason being that in reality you're only supplying grease to the outer bearing.
The Grease pushed through the grease-nipple is not making it's way through the outer-bearing filing the cavity of the hub and then finally greasing the inner bearing. (this of course is just my opinion)

With every trailer I owned (boat or other) I have removed the complete Hub, drilled/tap thread in the hubs and installed a grease-nipple.

The position of the nipple is between the inner & outer bearing, this way when the grease gets into the hub and filling the entire hub then making its way to both bearings.

I came up with this as I used to re-built belt driven transfer-cases & gear-boxes for work

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
assuming you dont damage the hub or bearing buddy, and you have a good quality hub (not the chinesium imports), a few hundred times

I agree. Seems like you're worrying about a problem that doesn't exist.

highfigh

Seaman Apprentice

Probably eggs it, more than make it bell-shaped. It's unfortunate they don't machine a groove just outside of the shoulder, for prying it out. The groove could hold a split ring.

I have used channel lock pliers with a rag, to protect the BB and that works without distorting the shape.

Sea18Horse

Chief Petty Officer
There seems to be a lot of bearing related misconceptions out there. The first involves the proper method for removal of a dust cap or bearing buddy. Do yourself a favor and get the proper tool for the job. In order to get the bearing buddy out by tapping from the side means it must distort either the B.B. or the hub. That might be the standard way but it's not the proper way. Don't drive the bearing buddy all the way home. Leave a slight gap to get the tool points in next time.

The second involves the purpose of a Bearing buddy in the first place. A B.B. is not there to give you a way to grease your wheel bearings. It's only purpose is to add positive pressure inside the hub (3psi) so that the warm hub doesn't suck in water when it gets dunked in the cold water. That's it!

Cheers.........................Todd

P/S I can't vouch for the quality of the tool I linked to. It's just an example. Mine looks just like it but is from Snap-On and I've had it for 40 years.