What type trailer brakes

JerseyJoe1

Recruit
Buying a Ranger Tug 29ft, with command bridge 13’4” in trailer high and 10800 lbs dry. So the issue is trailers I’m seeing utilize surge brakes. However , I’d like to install a weight distribution anti sway hitch, which is not recommended with surge brakes. Silly question can I use electric brakes trailer to launch into water? Electric brakes would allow WDH. What are people using with larger boats?

thanks
joe

harringtondav

Commander
Also yes. I installed electric brakes on my trailer for the same reason as you. They work well.

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Buying a Ranger Tug 29ft, with command bridge 13’4” in trailer high and 10800 lbs dry. So the issue is trailers I’m seeing utilize surge brakes. However , I’d like to install a weight distribution anti sway hitch, which is not recommended with surge brakes. Silly question can I use electric brakes trailer to launch into water? Electric brakes would allow WDH

I’m a Ranger Tug owner— an R27. Almost all RTs 27’ and over are towed using trailers equipped with electric over hydraulic brakes and not surge brakes. Electric over hydraulic brakes require a controller in the truck, but any truck that is capable of towing a Ranger Tug 29 will almost certainly have a brake controller. Also, the trailer you buy will almost certainly be aluminum. Some aluminum trailer manufacturers do not recommend using WD hitches with their products.

Are you aware that towing a Ranger Tug 29 will require wide load permits?

If you’re not already on Tugnuts, it’s a valuable resource specific to your boat: www.Tugnuts.com

wrench 3

Commander
With full electric trailer brakes their performance is effected more by surface rust than hydraulic brakes.
Electric over hydraulic solves this problem.

gemetz

Recruit
Greetings.

This hitch is compatible with surge brakes...
Equal-i-zer Weight Distribution System w/ 4-Point Sway Control - 14,000 lbs GTW, 1,400 lbs TW

​​​​​​ e.t.r.a.i.l.e.r dot com (remove periods) I can't post web sites yet

Good luck.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Equilizer is a great hitch. I use one on my travel trailer. I do however, recommend electric over hydraulic with disc brakes, especially on larger boats. I have that on my 24' boat. Drum brakes just suck no matter if they are electric or hydraulic.