Leaf spring failed..and more?

rickasbury

Senior Chief Petty Officer
So this is the spring I have...with a hook on the end....so when I take the eye bolt bolt out will this other end just come out? The bolt that holds the part that joins the two springs together it looks like the hook goes over but I'd think once it is loose it just swings over? Click image for larger version  Name:	spring.png Views:	1 Size:	37.0 KB ID:	10710659I'm just sure that it does and now I'd have to take both springs off....I want to get it home to do the other springs!
fetch
And the hook end on the spring on the trailer looks a little different....it has the hook that goes down but on the top side it has a piece that sticks up somehow...like about two inches from the end and goes vertical...is that a different style as well?

Last edited:

rickasbury

So, went back and looked again and the leaf I have is as above with no other pcs. or parts...anyway...I'm looking how all this goes together and keep in mind I have really not done any work on a trailer other than brakes. So, tandem axle...I see where I have the eye for the one bolt, goes to the axle where the U bolts are with the plate and then the other end goes into the hanger.....other side of the hanger the other spring has the eye in the hanger, to the axle and then up to the frame for the other end of the slip/hook end to attach. I don't really see where anything is adjustable? I assume the plate has some sort of indent and the bolt that holds the leafs together matches up so they are the same side to side.....what is the axle adjustment then? Is it assumed square to the frame and aligned at that point???

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
So, went back and looked again and the leaf I have is as above with no other pcs. or parts...anyway...I'm looking how all this goes together and keep in mind I have really not done any work on a trailer other than brakes. So, tandem axle...I see where I have the eye for the one bolt, goes to the axle where the U bolts are with the plate and then the other end goes into the hanger.....other side of the hanger the other spring has the eye in the hanger, to the axle and then up to the frame for the other end of the slip/hook end to attach. I don't really see where anything is adjustable? I assume the plate has some sort of indent and the bolt that holds the leafs together matches up so they are the same side to side.....what is the axle adjustment then? Is it assumed square to the frame and aligned at that point???
Nothing adjustable on mine. The pin in the spring pack fit in the alignment hole on the axle

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
buy new hardware. buy a few cut-off wheels and saws-all blades and go that route
saws-all was way to slow. Went out and bought a 4” grinder and cut off wheels. Changed every peice of hardware on the trailer and installed new springs by noon.

Took longer to position the floor jack than to cut and change hardware

Mechmagcn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If you don't have suitable jack's and stands there is another way to raise the trailer. I've used this method on loaded big rigs on the side of the road to change broken springs.
Locate several wooden blocks, 4X6 or 6X6 work well. You'll need a piece of 2X6 for a ramp.
Hook your tow vehicle to the trailer, put a block and your ramp in front of the tire on the other axle (if you're replacing the rear spring) or behind the rear tire (if you're replacing the front spring) Pull that tire up on top of the block and you have raised the other axle and tire high enough to remove the tire and replace the spring. Put a small jack under the axle to keep it from dropping too far when you loosen the u-bolts.

rickasbury

That is a creative idea and will keep that in mind for the future! I did get it done...was not to bad...need to do the other side and the back axle...I thought about doing something like that with conventional ramps...

Last edited:

Mechmagcn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
thought about doing something like that with conventional ramps...
I started to suggest car ramps, but with a dual axle trailer I wasn't sure of the weight of your boat .I've seen a few sets of cheap ramps flattened by overloads.

rickasbury

I did not try that for that reason...I was comfortable with a 5 ton jack jac some larger jack stands...if the one bolt would have come off easily it would have been a pretty quick job. Add that to my resume.