Leaf spring failed..and more?

rickasbury

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Wow did discover a mess yesterday. I have a rinker 270. That's a 7500# boat dry. My trailer is a 10000# tandem axle trailer. If I had the money I'd scrap the aluminum and start over! Well, at least strip it down and refit. Anyway, I noticed yesterday o the port side it did not look like the front tire was talking the rear tire and it looked like the top of the tire was towed in. Thought it was just sitting funny on the street...towed to storage and kept looking that way driving down the road...put a straight edge on it and indeed confirmed the above-mentioned checked the other side and while not as bad, a problem. Looked up underneath portside and the top leaf is broken from right in the middle under the axle and jambed up against the trailer. Yuk. I'm heading back to get a better assessment. Never dealt with this and looking online for replacement. Is the length the eye to eye straight across dimension? I'm trying to understand if the broken spring is the cause of what I visually see with the tires or do I have additional problems with that axle? so

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I had the springs break on my trailer about 15 yrs ago. Trailer manufacturer replaced the Axle and Springs. However I upgraded to a Torsion Axle. Best thing I ever did. The difference between a spring axle and a Torsion is like night and day. The Wheels are now like they have independent suspension, which they do.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
most likely you simply have spring issues.

if youre in salt water, springs rust and break. one of the points of failure is where its clamped to the axle.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Four years ago I changed the springs on the trailer as preventative maintenance.
Found two broken springs in the processs. Both where broken where they are clamped to the axle. No ida how long they where broken

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
The best solution is torsion axles because as was stated they are independant suspension for the trailer and react to the little things on the road.

That said, you can order a new spring for them, just measure eye to eye and find the correct weight range and length to fit it, it is pretty easy to change out a spring, normally when I have to, I will get a matched set of springs for that axle and change out both sides with new hardware in addition to the springs.

Make sure to get in the habit of inspecting the suspension after every trip and then glance at the suspension before you hit the road again, I have always found when I broke a spring, it was just sitting at rest, I have never broke a spring while towing the trailer.

rickasbury

I did go back to the boat and re look as my wife was with me when I dropped it off and to be honest, was just so shocked at what I saw I had to go back and look again to digest it!

First, it could have ended so much worse than just finding a broken leaf...it was THE leaf that broke. That wheel moved back several inches as a result. I am guessing this broke loose a couple of weekends back as I was in tight corners and went over one curb ( very slowly) and then another I hit with some force....including that trip, I made two more trips to my normal ramp (15 miles round trip) and probably hitting 40 mph and that whole axle could have easily come undone and ended horribly!

So, I took these pictures and did my measurements and find that the leafs I have do not have the eye at each end....did some looking on line and see I have a slip leaf spring. I had thought that I had the two eyes and went to measure it and when I looked at the part (don't know what it's called) where the front and rear springs attached, the front of it has the "slip" end of the spring and the back side of it has the eye for the rear spring. I could not tell looking at this part how the "slip" end attaches or if it even does....didn't think to look at the other end of the other spring as that probably would have told me. Anyway, how does it or is is just in a channel and slides back and forth as it flexes?

Also, this trailer frame sits pretty high off the ground...I have no clue how to raise the trailer to get to this spring....would be nice to have a forklift handy but short of that, what is a safe way to do this? I'm thinking of carefully driving the boat to the ramp which is not more than about 2 miles and getting the boat off it and taking it home to fix....may have an issue with the water pump and not sure the boat will be able to get to the marina however....boats! spring 2.jpgSpring.jpg

Scott Danforth

Staff member
get a jack and some jack stands, get new springs and replace one side at a time.

trying to move it would not be advised.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
We do NOT recommend using torsion axles for multiple axle trailers. Just don’t do it. There are better ways to accomplish much of the effect without the potential overload and failure possibilities.

https://mechanicalelements.com/trail...iAAEgI3g_D_BwE

You might not, but there are a lot of companies that manufacture multiple axle trailers that do. No need to raise your voice at........... ALL!

That said, the slipper springs are easy to replace, just jack the trailer up and place on jack stands while you work on it, no need to take it to the ramp.

You might want to let Charlston Trailer know they are building trailers with non recommended parts.

https://www.charlestontrailer.com/charleston-new-trailers.php

They even offer a triple torsion axle trailer to handle boats up to 18,000 pounds

Last edited:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
You might not, but there are a lot of companies that manufacture multiple axle trailers that do. No need to raise your voice at........... ALL!

That said, the slipper springs are easy to replace, just jack the trailer up and place on jack stands while you work on it, no need to take it to the ramp.
I don't yell ;) geez.. it's a copy and paste...

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I don't yell ;) geez.. it's a copy and paste...

Okay, I apologize, but there are companies that are building trailers with both tandem and triple axle trailers with torsion axles, I added a link to one of them when I edited my message

rickasbury

ok boys, calm down or I will have to use my adult voice! Easy to replace...so it is just undo the eye bolt on the one end and then it slips out? As far as jack stands...first, I have automotive type stands and I'm thinking they are just not going to go up high enough to support the trailer from the main trailer rails? Also, same for the jack...Where am I going to jack it up from? I can't go under that axle correct?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Normally when I jack a tandem, I put a bottle jack on the main frame rail between the two tires and jack it up from there, if my stands or jack won't go high enough, I use wood blocks under them to get more height out of them. Do you have a picture of the whole trailer with the boat on it from the side?

Sometimes you have to place the jack in front or behind the wheels to jack it up, do you have a tongue jack on your trailer?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Underrated for your application so look at the larger capacity models:

https://www.amazon.com/Alltrade-6409...ateway&sr=8-10

All in one - jack and jackstand. Can raise the jackstand to gain more lift. I bought one for use with my 4Runner after reading reviews from the Jeep community. I'm planning on getting another soon.

That is pretty nifty, I have never seen that one before, might have to pick a couple of them up!

rickasbury

yep, here it is.... boat.jpg and those are cool jacks! I will go take some measurements. My bottle jack is 3 ton and I will see how far my jack stands will go...also, looking at the types of slip leafs, I think mine has a hook on it which I assume keeps it coming out of the center leveler....so should be only one bolt then....and probably one that won't come off! I think I will take my PB blaster with me and get that soaking. Sounds like I can do this where the boat is stored, it is on concrete. I'm learning way to much about fixing this boat.

San_Diego_SeaRay

Petty Officer 1st Class
People are saying this is an "easy" job. Well I had to do a dual axle trailer a month ago and thought the same thing...would be done in a few hours. Bottom line: I had to cut off every bolt with an angle grinder and a cut-off wheel. Took me about 5 times longer than expected. Here's my tip: Go out and try to untighten some of the bolts. If you start struggling with removing any of the bolts, including U bolts, then don't even try. Just go buy new bolts. And make sure you grease them when reinstalling. I've attached a few pics of my old leaf springs.

Attachments

• photo308724.jpg
    photo308724.jpg
    342.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo308725.jpg
    photo308725.jpg
    296.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo308726.jpg
    photo308726.jpg
    285.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo308727.jpg
    photo308727.jpg
    388.5 KB · Views: 0

rickasbury

Yes., While I do appreciate the optimistic approach the 5x longer is the mode I normally work under. I'm going by there today and will spray the bolts down. I have only the one eye bolt and then the u bolts but I'm thinking I will just order all new bolts. I have a generator I can throw in the back of my truck and way to much experience with my grinder. Mine don't look any better than yours...

Scott Danforth

Staff member
buy new hardware. buy a few cut-off wheels and saws-all blades and go that route.

trailers that are dunked in salt water usually do not come apart easy, so you will end up cutting the bolts

rickasbury

I will be prepared! I will follow up when complete....might be a week or so before I can get back to it. Missing some great boating weather...