6 Lug Trailer Wheels vs Auto Wheels

San_Diego_SeaRay

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello. I recently bought used a 30' dual axle galvanized trailer rated to 10k lbs. It came with 6 lug size 14.5" rims. It also came with "LT" light truck tires instead of "ST" trailer tires.

So I'm looking to possibly upgrade to a ST tires. But I'm bothered by the idea of sticking with such odd sized rims. I'd rather have a size that is more universal. I can't seem to find good 15" or 16" used trailer wheels in my area. If I come across a good deal on 15" or 16" automobile wheels, will those work just the same? Also, what are the benefits of a smaller wheel or what are the drawbacks of a larger wheel?

Thanks in advance!

alldodge

Staff member
LT and ST tires are built the same, and have the same stiff side walls. Search "difference between ST and LT tires", there is plenty of info out there on them.

The reason for the 0.5 inch difference is so folks will not put passenger car tires on a trailer. A trailer needs stiff side walls to keep the sway down.

That said, if you find different wheels with the same bolt pattern, they will fit. Suggest if doing so, install LT truck tires at the least, the stiffer the better

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
My 2 If it were me in your situation; i would put the best tires on the ground; hang a good spare; and wait for Summer. If the tires are in good shape;I wouldn't worry.

San_Diego_SeaRay

Petty Officer 1st Class
LT and ST tires are built the same, and have the same stiff side walls. Search "difference between ST and LT tires", there is plenty of info out there on them.

I did not know this. Very helpful.

That said, if you find different wheels with the same bolt pattern, they will fit. Suggest if doing so, install LT truck tires at the least, the stiffer the better

So would you say that any 6 lug 5.5" wheel should work? It's my understanding that 5.5" pattern is the standard pattern for 6 lug trailer wheels.

Bondo

Staff member
Hello. I recently bought used a 30' dual axle galvanized trailer rated to 10k lbs. It came
with 6 lug size 14.5" rims.
It also came with "LT" light truck tires instead of "ST" trailer tires.

So I'm looking to possibly upgrade to a ST tires. But I'm bothered by the idea of sticking with such odd sized rims. I'd rather have a size that is more universal. I can't seem to find good 15" or 16" used trailer wheels in my area. If I come across a good deal on 15" or 16" automobile wheels, will those work just the same? Also, what are the benefits of a smaller wheel or what are the drawbacks of a larger wheel?

Thanks in advance!

Ayuh,...... Exactly what size are the tires,..??

14.5"s are usually house trailer tires,...... never seen a truck tire in 14.5",.... 14", 15", 16", 16.5", 17", yes,....

When usin' car or truck wheels, you have to check the center-off-set,.......
Car wheels are usually off-set too deep towards the frame, 'n the tire rubs the springs,.....

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
The difference between trailer and auto/truck wheels is more than just rim width, diameter and bolt circle. There is the issue of "offset". Trailer wheels are designed with zero offset -- meaning the the hub (the bolt circle area) is in the exact center plane of the wheel. If you could see straight down through the wheel from top to bottom you would see the hub is directly on that plane. Auto wheels have either positive or negative offset meaning the hub is mounted in the rim either close to the outside or inside of the rim. While this typically doesn't present a serious issue, at or near maximum load the load and shock forces of an auto wheel can put unequal stresses on the bearings and apply more leverage to the spindle since the tire itself is spaced generally outward and thus essentially lengthening the spindle. Four wheel drive and front drive vehicles have positive offset so using those may present a clearance issue between the inside of the wheel and the frame/suspension. Trailer axle spindles are designed and spec'ed for zero offset wheels. Again -- just something to consider. I'm not saying don't do it. Many boat trailers with aluminum wheels are of the offset variety. But aluminum wheels are available with zero offset.

San_Diego_SeaRay

Petty Officer 1st Class
The difference between trailer and auto/truck wheels is more than just rim width, diameter and bolt circle. There is the issue of "offset". Trailer wheels are designed with zero offset -- meaning the the hub (the bolt circle area) is in the exact center plane of the wheel. If you could see straight down through the wheel from top to bottom you would see the hub is directly on that plane. Auto wheels have either positive or negative offset meaning the hub is mounted in the rim either close to the outside or inside of the rim. While this typically doesn't present a serious issue, at or near maximum load the load and shock forces of an auto wheel can put unequal stresses on the bearings and apply more leverage to the spindle since the tire itself is spaced generally outward and thus essentially lengthening the spindle. Four wheel drive and front drive vehicles have positive offset so using those may present a clearance issue between the inside of the wheel and the frame/suspension. Trailer axle spindles are designed and spec'ed for zero offset wheels. Again -- just something to consider. I'm not saying don't do it. Many boat trailers with aluminum wheels are of the offset variety. But aluminum wheels are available with zero offset.

All of this makes perfect sense and definitely something I didn't consider previously. Thanks!

San_Diego_SeaRay

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ayuh,...... Exactly what size are the tires,..??

14.5"s are usually house trailer tires,...... never seen a truck tire in 14.5",.... 14", 15", 16", 16.5", 17", yes,....

When usin' car or truck wheels, you have to check the center-off-set,.......
Car wheels are usually off-set too deep towards the frame, 'n the tire rubs the springs,.....

I'm not sure the exact size. They're on the thinner side. They have that sharp upright look rather than a rounded shoulder look. (The boat is stored 10 miles from my home so I can't easily go look).

I see what you're saying about offset and rubbing the springs. I should go look at how much clearance I have already.

Hmmm. I'm leaning towards just keeping the LT tires considering their build is similar to trailer tires. A lot of good info. Thanks everyone!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
drive the 10 miles and take a look

house trailer wheels are different than standard 6-lug trailer wheels. however you will need to look

in addition to bolt circle, offset, etc. there is also pilot diameter. most trailer tires have larger pilots than automotive wheels for a reason.

you first need to identify what you have.

San_Diego_SeaRay

Petty Officer 1st Class
drive the 10 miles and take a look

house trailer wheels are different than standard 6-lug trailer wheels. however you will need to look

in addition to bolt circle, offset, etc. there is also pilot diameter. most trailer tires have larger pilots than automotive wheels for a reason.

you first need to identify what you have.

OK I'll look next time I'm down there.

I figure you mean reading the sidewall but just in case photos help:

Attachments

• photo308291.jpg
    photo308291.jpg
    589.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo308292.jpg
    photo308292.jpg
    396.6 KB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Those are traditional 14.5 6-lug

Each tire rated about 3200#

You will be hard-pressed to find an eqivalent aluminum wheel with the same rating. Run what you have, go boating

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
It looks like the trailer the A's Uncle gave me. It has 14" tires. Drug it from SC to Texas with no problem. I like the way it parks.