Single axle trailer hub missing spindle "wear sleeve"?

harringtondav

Commander
I studied you trailer spindle, and it's different from my trailer spindles, and my 2WD spindles, (GA's diagram). These have two precision diameters. A smaller one next to the threads that accepts the outer cone, and a larger one that accepts the larger inner cone, and provides a seal surface for the grease seal.

Yours has a single diameter that fits both inner and outer bearing cones. The larger diameter is for your grease seal. It's surface is too rough to have seal lips contacting it. So I think you're on the right track. with a two-piece seal assembly. I suspect the 'sleeve' drives onto this larger diameter so it doesn't rotate, and the rest of the seal assembly rotates on this.

DunbarLtd

Petty Officer 1st Class
Is the arrow pointing to a lip?

Its obvious there is a wear mark which was created by the seal. At least thats what Im seeing. You could argue this is a race but I remember now taking the damaged one out and it was in tact. Just bent a little and had rusted. It wasnt completely shattered and destroyed. I believe this is a "sleeve" that comes with a seal.The o-ring gives it away as well. If this was a bearing race there wouldnt be an o-ring there. And the seal sleeve has a little round piece of metal on the inside just the the sleeve on the seal kit i found. Look at the pictures i posted and compare. Im confident I found the part.

DunbarLtd

Petty Officer 1st Class
IThe larger diameter is for your grease seal. It's surface is too rough to have seal lips contacting it. So I think you're on the right track. with a two-piece seal assembly. I suspect the 'sleeve' drives onto this larger diameter so it doesn't rotate, and the rest of the seal assembly rotates on this.

Yes this is correct. The seals surfaces are indeed rough and now i know why the previous owners added these sleeves. Turns out they come with the new seals. Bearing Buddies makes them from what I found. Im pretty sure this is the right part. They simply tap onto the spindle. Although the old one came off fairly easily. I plan on adding some high temp loctite unless you can think of a better option to make sure the new ones dont spin if they dont fit as tight as I would like? The old one was on pretty good but it didnt take much effort to pull it off.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Turns out they come with the new seals. Bearing Buddies makes them from what I found. Im pretty sure this is the right part.
The kits from bearing buddy are not generic. They didn’t work on my trailer. Suggest you measure all parts to confirm fit

DunbarLtd

Petty Officer 1st Class
The kits from bearing buddy are not generic. They didn’t work on my trailer. Suggest you measure all parts to confirm fit

I have measured and thanks for the reminder. The new sleeve says its 1 1/16" inner diameter. Which fits over the spindle as the spindle is 1 1/16". Then the end where the seal rides and there is a step, its 1 3/8" and I believe thats the same 1.375" measurement on the item description. It should fit.

The inner diameter of the actual grease seal is also 1.375. So that will fit over the sleeve.

Like I said, the driver side had this sleeve installed when i removed the hub and it has never leaked since the day i got the boat, 4 years ago. I only had issues with the passenger side (which got worse over time) and i think i finally figured out why.

I will post a picture up with the new hardware installed when it gets here tomorrow.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Most likely its a UPI hub and stub. If so it is not a speedy sleeve. You can only get the sleeves from UPI

DunbarLtd

Petty Officer 1st Class
Most likely its a UPI hub and stub. If so it is not a speedy sleeve. You can only get the sleeves from UPI

Sorry, edited. Read your reply wrong. It probably is a UPI which makes sense why i couldnt find any sleeves. I think the seal assembly i posted above will work. See what happens when they get here tomorrow.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
UPI hubs and spindles also use unique bearing sizes. I have been blessed/cursed by that as well. Good luck

harringtondav

Commander
You might want to do some root cause diagnostics on the failed hub. With Bearing Buddies the only water entry point would be at that inside seal. I'd suspect the fit between the sleeve and the spindle hub. It should be a drive-on, tight metal to metal fit. Your earlier comment about using loctite or some other sealant (permatex aviation gasket) is a good idea.

DunbarLtd

Petty Officer 1st Class
You might want to do some root cause diagnostics on the failed hub. With Bearing Buddies the only water entry point would be at that inside seal. I'd suspect the fit between the sleeve and the spindle hub. It should be a drive-on, tight metal to metal fit. Your earlier comment about using loctite or some other sealant (permatex aviation gasket) is a good idea.

Well I decided to purchase new hubs for the hell of it. The old ones were probably on there for generations. Figured it was time to to do a complete restoration in that region. So new bearings, seals, and buddies. Ill use the old good hub as a replecement for emergencies.

Thanks for the idea of Aviation. Hadnt used the stuff yet but reading up on it sounds like it would work. I think having something flexible is probably a better idea. I was also thinking epoxy but i assume that would crack over time.