Explorer towing a bowrider

SkaterRace

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Personally if you can afford a decent set of mirrors get them. I tow a lot of things small boats tires are at 8’2” big boats 10 feet at the guides. My other trailers are 8’6”s there isn’t one of them that tow mirrors isn’t better with. I hate blind spots. Its that one time you clip a curb on a corner or worse that will cover the costs of your mirrors by a fair margin. I added the clearview tow mirrors to my new GMC Canyon immediately and its night and day. If you wont tow it a lot get slipons but a good set of power mirrors are worth every penny. Especially the convex mirrors at the bottom when backing up.

I can't seem to find power mirrors for my explorer, you have a truck, big difference in part availability even more so because I am in Canada. I do agree they can make a difference but not always.

briangcc

Commander
I tow with my 4Runner (bit narrower than your Explorer) and with my load, 2017 Chap 19 H2O (about 1' longer than yours, same width) I have yet to need tow mirrors.

Then again I've been towing since the 90's and I know where to look if someone is tailgating my trailer...there are signs that can clue you in under certain circumstances.

If it makes you and your GF feel better, get a set of clip ons. The worst thing is that you'll tow with them once and decide its not worth it.

FWIW...my uncle clips a set on his Traverse when towing his 18' Sylvan which is narrower than either of our boats.

SkaterRace

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I tow with my 4Runner (bit narrower than your Explorer) and with my load, 2017 Chap 19 H2O (about 1' longer than yours, same width) I have yet to need tow mirrors.

Then again I've been towing since the 90's and I know where to look if someone is tailgating my trailer...there are signs that can clue you in under certain circumstances.

If it makes you and your GF feel better, get a set of clip ons. The worst thing is that you'll tow with them once and decide its not worth it.

FWIW...my uncle clips a set on his Traverse when towing his 18' Sylvan which is narrower than either of our boats.

I'm confident in towing without since others seem to say it is fine, the initial idea was just a maybe we will see. The GF took it as a chance to get me something. She trusts me with cars and boats fully minus a few stupid things I've done by accident.