Explorer towing a bowrider

SkaterRace

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I recently got a 2018 Glastron GT 185 and I plan to tow it with my 2013 Ford Explorer. It is the V6 one with tow package from the factory. Never towed with it before but should be good weight wise. I am not sure weather I need tow mirrors or not. I have not picked up the boat yet and won't till April or May so everything is just planning right now but GF said she wanted to get me tow mirrors as a gift for valentines day since I said I might need them.

Are they worth getting or will the standard ones be good enough?

Also anything else I should consider doing to the Explorer before I pick up the boat? I have a 3 hour drive home with it so want to be 100% sure before I pick it up.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
We recently bought a new boat that has a 100" beam. That's only 2" less than the max allowable on the highway without a permit. We towed her home with a Chevy Traverse, with std. mirrors. I was apprehensive at first, but since the trip was only 2 miles, I did it. Decided the stock mirrors were fine.

I guess it depends on the car's width and the boat's beam.

harringtondav

Commander
I'd worry about the mirrors after your first try. I towed with a std Dodge Caravan for a few years without them and was fine. I'd check the Explorer's towing load rating. If it has a tranny oil cooler I think you'll be fine. If not, you'll probably still be OK. Switch off the overdrive on hills, and up pedal shift when accelerating.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Towing my sea ray, i had towing mirrors on the durango. You will know when you make your first tow

kaulbr

Seaman
I tow a 19-footer with my 2012 Ford Explorer with the factory tow package. It tows like a dream, you'll love it. In case it interests you, I get about 10- miles per gallon when towing. And I don't think you'll need any beyond the standard mirrors - I've never seen a need for it.

tpenfield

Staff member
I would have the GF buy you a few cases of beer instead of the tow mirrors . . . you won't really need them . An 18-19 foot boat is really not that big . . . The Expy will do fine. Adjust the mirrors out a bit further than normal and you should remove the typical blind spot.

Do you have the BLIS system (blind spot indicators) on the Explorer?

SkaterRace

I'd worry about the mirrors after your first try. I towed with a std Dodge Caravan for a few years without them and was fine. I'd check the Explorer's towing load rating. If it has a tranny oil cooler I think you'll be fine. If not, you'll probably still be OK. Switch off the overdrive on hills, and up pedal shift when accelerating.

Tow rating is 5k lbs with the V6 AWD. I'm good there and as above, it has the tow package. Weight wise, braking wise and lighting I know I am 100% okay but my worry is mirrors and thing else I might be missing.

SkaterRace

I tow a 19-footer with my 2012 Ford Explorer with the factory tow package. It tows like a dream, you'll love it. In case it interests you, I get about 10- miles per gallon when towing. And I don't think you'll need any beyond the standard mirrors - I've never seen a need for it.

Awesome, good to find someone with a similar setup. For gas consumption thanks, will take note of that, at that usage I'll need more gas stops than normal to get it home

SkaterRace

I would have the GF buy you a few cases of beer instead of the tow mirrors . . . you won't really need them . An 18-19 foot boat is really not that big . . . The Expy will do fine. Adjust the mirrors out a bit further than normal and you should remove the typical blind spot.

Do you have the BLIS system (blind spot indicators) on the Explorer?

Thanks and yes it does have the indicators, not sure if I can adjust them though, didn't see it in the menus.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I got tow mirrors for my F150 when pulling my 19’ bowrider. I used them a few times but now I never bother with them. The tow mirrors don’t improve visibility for me. As others have said, you will soon know if you need them.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Im sure my 76 starcraft weights a lot less than your rig .I bought a 2013 ford edge with the 3.5 and awd.Towing fuel mileage is not bad at around 17 or 20 mpg I find that towing mirrors are helpful especially when I have to backdown the hill to the sand boat ramp at camp.285hp and a 6 speed sport select tranny make towing the rig barely even noticeable .

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I think your tow rig will be fine also. I towed more than that when I had mine.
Enough of that, I'd be more concerned about the trailer tires, lighting, and wheel bearings.
When I get a new rig, and have to travel a bit to get it, I'll bring a new led light set, temporary wire splice connectors ( scotch locks) and a few sets of wheel bearings and grease if I have any issues on the way home. Any parts not used on the trip get returned when I get home.

tpenfield

Staff member
Thanks and yes it does have the indicators, not sure if I can adjust them though, didn't see it in the menus.

You can adjust the mirrors, not the BLIS . . . but since you have the blind spot system, then you can adjust the mirrors for best longer range visibility, because your blind spot will be covered by the BLIS system.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Since you are picking up a new boat and trailer (it helps to read the first post), after about 50 miles or so pull over and re-tighten the trailer lugnuts and again after another 100 miles. New wheels tend to loosen up and it's a good idea to check on the first tow as well as part of a pre-tow check any time.

While checking the lugs, also feel the hubs for a hot bearing. New doesn't mean good or put together correctly.

SkaterRace

Since you are picking up a new boat and trailer (it helps to read the first post), after about 50 miles or so pull over and re-tighten the trailer lugnuts and again after another 100 miles. New wheels tend to loosen up and it's a good idea to check on the first tow as well as part of a pre-tow check any time.

While checking the lugs, also feel the hubs for a hot bearing. New doesn't mean good or put together correctly.

Thanks, never thought to check those. I've always bought used boats and often redid the trailer upon a 10 mile drive home, new is totally foreign to me.

SkaterRace

I think your tow rig will be fine also. I towed more than that when I had mine.
Enough of that, I'd be more concerned about the trailer tires, lighting, and wheel bearings.
When I get a new rig, and have to travel a bit to get it, I'll bring a new led light set, temporary wire splice connectors ( scotch locks) and a few sets of wheel bearings and grease if I have any issues on the way home. Any parts not used on the trip get returned when I get home.

This is a brand new boat so it hopefully will not have issues and if it does I will never be more than a half hour drive to a city with a CTC or auto parts store.

rickasbury

Go to harbor freight and for 20 bucks get an temperature infared gun- you can shoot it all over your tires hubs etc. Since your buying a boat new, I'd just go ahead and ask the sales person to show you the date code on those tires - if they are more than a couple of years old, let them swap them with a newer arrival!

82rude

Rear Admiral
Do yourself a favor and disable the warning beep for the backup camera for towing .If left on it will drive you insane when in reverse and it only takes a second and on my edge it automatically reengages afterwards.

SkaterRace

Do yourself a favor and disable the warning beep for the backup camera for towing .If left on it will drive you insane when in reverse and it only takes a second and on my edge it automatically reengages afterwards.

I'm well aware of Ford's love for that, my mother had an '11Ford Escape and it had the backup system, my father and I spent 3 years listening to it before we asked my uncle (a mechanic) and he pointed us to a single button... You can bet we felt like idiots that day.

Lowlysubaruguy

Chief Petty Officer
Personally if you can afford a decent set of mirrors get them. I tow a lot of things small boats tires are at 8’2” big boats 10 feet at the guides. My other trailers are 8’6”s there isn’t one of them that tow mirrors isn’t better with. I hate blind spots. Its that one time you clip a curb on a corner or worse that will cover the costs of your mirrors by a fair margin. I added the clearview tow mirrors to my new GMC Canyon immediately and its night and day. If you wont tow it a lot get slip ons but a good set of power mirrors are worth every penny. Especially the convex mirrors at the bottom when backing up.