Ranger pickup as tow rig

tramsdell

Banned
With all due respect I'm calling BS on this.

My dad owned the same truck, a 2.3L. The thing had 800 sparkplugs and 120hp. That truck barely had enough power to pull itself. He went and bought a 18' with a 150 fish n ski and after he got it home the first thing he said was "Well I'll be getting a new truck soon."

That was the most sluggish underpowered truck I've ever ridden in. It was actually scary to drive.

Well, some people are comfortable with a little less. Op, of a ranger's what you have, then a ranger is the best truck for the job. You dont need an f550 to pull yer boat. A half ton would be "nice" but if you take it easy, play it safe, and be carefull, you should be just fine.

I'll toss in my two cents. Your truck will tow a bench aluminum boat without problem. I used my 2007 4.0L v6 to tow my 16' Alumacraft with a 90hp, which is much heavier than what you're describing. I did move back to a full size truck because I couldn't see around the boat and I could feel it, which worried me about braking ability.

As others said, you should be fine launching and retrieving as long as you scout the ramp first. Lots of milfoil or other weeds combined with water can also make a launch slick. If need be, grab a fat guy from the beach and have them sit on the bed of your truck for traction. Better than sandbags and can usually be rented for a can of beer each!