Keel Roller Issue after Replacement

krizm200

Seaman
Hi everyone,

I have a 1972 Caulkins trailer (holds up to 2200 lbs.) for my 1974 Mako 15. The weight of the boat and all is around 1200 lbs. I replaced the old keel roller (8 inch rubber with 5/8 inch dia) because it had split horizontally, with an Atwood keel roller. After 4 to 5 months, the Atwood roller is falling apart in the deep V groove, to the point where I can see the pin in some spots. Did I use the wrong roller? Could I have installed it incorrectly? Would you be able to recommend a roller that can take the weight?

Thanks everyone. I did read a review from someone who used an Atwood roller and it did the same thing to him.

Mark

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Maybe the bunks aren't carrying enough weight and the roller split because the sharpish keel is cutting through?

Are the old and new roller the same "V" style?

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
A proper "keel roller" is called a tapered or V-roller. Rubber is OK and should last 10 years or so, but a Stoltz polyurethane roller should last for years and years.

If you bought a rubber spool roller, or an economy roller, that's your problem. Not intended for severe duty.

Another potential problem could be that when you installed the new roller, it was not adjusted right and all the weight was on that single roller.

Most of the weight of the boat should be on the keel rollers, but it has to be evenly distributed, All the rollers should be in a straight line.

krizm200

Seaman
Thanks for the reply. I purchased an inexpensive V-roller from Atwood, so I guess that was the problem (it was just over $8.00). I'll find a polyurethane roller, bet it holds up much better.

As far as adjustments go, the old roller was the exact same dimensions and in the same place. Suppose it could be adjustment still, but my guess is it was my "cheapness" that is the issue.

Thanks again!