Trailer Unladen weight

Geeman424

Recruit
Purchased a 1961 Thompson with a 2000 Gator Trailer from a seller in PA in September. I live in NY. No unladen weight listed on PA title, and NY Motor Vehicle requires it. Can't get the registration (plates) to go and pick it up. How do I determine unladen weight and provide documentation to certify for registration? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Contact the trailer manufacturer with the VIN

Or

Float boat and get trailer weighed.

Geeman424

Recruit
Can't seem to find a Gator trailer manufacturer online. I do have the vin. Trying to keep the seller from the trouble of floating boat and weighing trailer, especially now that it's January. I guess it is what it is.... Thank you for the reply.

ahicks

Captain
Get a temporary plate to allow you to get it home if you want to be guaranteed legal. Myself, I would just have a dated bill of sale handy in case I get stopped. That would be a pretty rare occasion in my experience. In the 50 years I've been pulling trailers I have never been stopped for anything while pulling one.

Here in Florida, they have a bill of sale document that you can download. When filled out completely and signed by buyer and seller, it's a legal temporary plate that will allow you to pull the trailer home legally. Never heard of it until seeing it online....

Geeman424

Recruit
Thank you so much for the information. Yes, according to the title it is a Gator. Everything I've been able to uncover would lead me to believe that it should be older, however the title states Gator. I may contact the Peterson Bros Company with the VIN to try to clarify things. Glad it's too cold to be out on the water so I can devote some time to this mystery. Once again, thank you, very happy to be part of this forum. I hope to be able to share from time to time as my project continues. Cheers!

Geeman424

Recruit
I will look into the temporary plate. I have a complete bill of sale and a son who is a police officer. I may ask him for some advice. I agree, the chances of being stopped are remote however I am THAT guy! Its a 200 mile trip and my estimation is that every mile increases the statistical odds. Wouldn't want to take the chance of having to leave my precious Sea Coaster on the side of the NJ Turnpike... Thanks, you guys are awesome dudes.