Trailer has no VIN Texas registration

ButchGood

Cadet
I bought a boat motor and trailer. Boat and motor was a breeze getting transferred. All the paperwork was in order. No for the trailer I got a bill of sale for the trailer. The trailer has not been registered since 2011. I started filling out the paperwork and its asking for a VIN. The sticker that had that information was still on the trailer but the info was long gone. Am I going to have trouble getting this trailer registered? Can I just take the bill of sale and the old plate with me? Has anyone else had this problem?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Do you have an option to make it a home built in your state? If so, you can fix it up a little and have it registered as "home built" and they will provide you with the VIN plate. I did that myself and it was a breeze. But I live in Georgia and actually did build it near about from the ground up. JMHO

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
some times the old plate and BOS may be all you need. ask them

from the old plate, they may be able to dig up the vin and at a minimum provide it to the prior owner. from there, you can contact that trailer manufacturer with the vin and they can send you a new sticker.

ahicks

Captain
Many times that VIN will be stamped into the metal on the trailer's left (driver's) side, usually somewhere on the front third of the trailer. If the trailer hasn't been repainted too many times, a careful search can often find that number and you'll be good to go.