No announcement yet.

Spare Tire Mount

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My trailer didn't come with a spare either, so I welded up a mount for one. Here's what it looks like.

Comment

Wow, that would get your attention!

Was your mount installed the way I'm considering, with the wheel oriented horizontally, or oriented vertically as is normally done? And how big a wheel? If vertically, I've got concerns about the mount installation I have now.

Your experience has dissuaded me from doing it as I have asked here, as that would certainly subject the mount to more stress. I need to keep looking.

Comment

Originally posted by ggray View Post
        Wow, that would get your attention!

Was your mount installed the way I'm considering, with the wheel oriented horizontally, or oriented vertically as is normally done? And how big a wheel? If vertically, I've got concerns about the mount installation I have now.

Your experience has dissuaded me from doing it as I have asked here, as that would certainly subject the mount to more stress. I need to keep looking.
        You hit it on the head, the angled spare tire carrier is subject to stress and ultimately, the spare tire holder manufacturer produced a flawed design and had ceased making it and instead redesigned it with more than one weld at its most stressed point. They were fielding the damage complaints one by one, paying them and hoping nobody would get killed which I can't believe didn't happen in my instance. My trailer was severely damaged and an entire line of cars had to dodge it including the one behind me whereby the entire tire/rim and broken holder bounced over his car. At a minimum, I would just pay attention to the weld. The sheer force of this even snapped my solid steel cable in half and snapped my very thick transom tiedowns as well. As I said, it was a bit of a reality check when all of your safety systems are overcome at what you thought were their strongest points. I hate towing and one of the reasons I don't do it any longer and just bought a house on the lake.
        2002 Chaparral 220 SSi
        350 MAG MPI
        Bravo 1

2011 Yamaha FX Sho

Comment

Here's some better photos of my mount, the boat comes to about 3 inches of the tire, it's never hit the tire when loading.

​​​​​​​
          ​​​​​​​

Comment

Working...
          X