mckee on wrong trailer?

muddyfishin

Seaman
I bought the 16ft mckee and it came on a trailer the guy told me he bought was not for this boat, its a caravan roller and its in great condition however alllll the weight is on the tongue! two people can barely lift the tongue off the ground. im wondering if I can slide the single axle forward a bit to get the proper weight distribution or if that is a big mistake waiting to unfold?

muddyfishin

Seaman
that is definitely my number one focus however im worried about hauling the trailer around to a scale for weighing as I dont want to exceed the tongue limit and have a disaster on the road during this whole ordeal, thanks for the response

Alumarine

Captain
If the axle is moveable there's no reason you can't move it forward to reduce tongue weight.
I'm guessing the transom is even with the end of the trailer?

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Some pics would help you get better help. There are many considerations, and possibly a few options

muddyfishin

Seaman
yes marc the axle assembly is moveable on piece of angle held only by the u bolts, and correct the transom sits right at the back , my buddy has a 20 foot cuddy wellcraft on the same type/size trailer and one guy can easily lift his boat at the tongue and the difference in hull weight is significant. and I will try to get pics this week thank you

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
I wouldnt attempt to make any changes to the trailer until you figure out the hull/waterlogged foam problem, which sounds substantial...

What?????? Too much tongue weight = severely waterlogged boat. Need pictures before making an assumption like that.

I suspect like many of the used bots I've bought, the trailer is set up incorrectly. But can't say until you post a picture of what you got.

muddyfishin

Seaman
not the best picture as the boats tucked away tight, theres like maybeee 4 feet behind the axle and the rest is in front,, also the transom sits on half of the last rollers if that helps,

Attachments

• photo305396.jpg
    photo305396.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

ahicks

Captain
Looks to me like the boat is located on the trailer correctly, so all you need to do is adjust the axle location.

muddyfishin

Seaman
ahicks,, last weekend I removed a lot of foam, which was waterlogged, still have more to go, however so far ive removed over 100 lbs as I weighed each bag removed.. I dont think even 200 lbs would make much a difference from the load I felt on the tongue,, any idea what distance I should move the axle to start or is it just a guess and go kind of thing?

ahicks

Captain
There are some that would try to calculate, but personally, I'd mess with it until it was right.Once those U bolts are loosened, it should only take a few minutes. Just make sure you square the axle up to the trailer frame when done so it tracks straight and doesn't cause unusual tire wear problems.

Alumarine

Captain
If you make some marks on the frame to indicate where the axle brackets are now and if the trailer currently tracks well you can use those as a reference for the new location.