Carlisle/Hydrastar HBA-10 Electric over Hydrolic actuator issues

Swedefj40

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I've been working in the trailer brakes for the boat and noticed the electric over hydrolic actuator is not working properly. I traced the wires from the actuator to the breakaway box and opened it up. Inside I noticed that there is a relay in there that has a wire for the coil cut off. With the other end of that cut wire nowhere in sight. I contacted the breakaway switch manufacturer to inquire about why there is a relay there and what it does and they said their products do not use any relays and have no idea why it's there. So... can anyone give me any suggestions why there is a relay there and what it is for? He's a pic...

Attachments

• photo304557.jpg
    photo304557.jpg
    375.4 KB · Views: 0

Swedefj40

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've since taken out this relay and wired the actuator up according to the wiring diagram and I can now hear the pump running when it is activated by the breakaway switch. There is no pressure at the outlet however so I tried to loosen off the bleeder valve at the top of the actuator but of course it's seized on. After a few weeks of spraying with a penetrant it still wouldn't budge and I ended up snapping it off. So... does anyone know what size of bleeder valve i can replace this with? The Carlisle/Hydrastar part number is 381-7037 but I can't find any info on the valve... ie: thread size etc.

Attachments

• photo304558.jpg
    photo304558.jpg
    996.8 KB · Views: 1
  • photo304559.jpg
    photo304559.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
There is no pressure at the outlet however so I tried to loosen off the bleeder valve at the top of the actuator but of course it's seized on. After a few weeks of spraying with a penetrant it still wouldn't budge and I ended up snapping it off. So... does anyone know what size of bleeder valve i can replace this with? The Carlisle/Hydrastar part number is 381-7037 but I can't find any info on the valve... ie: thread size etc.

Howdy,

If it were me, I would contact them
[h=6]Hydrastar Trailer Brake Actuators[/h]

Those bleeder valves are pretty standard and come in several thread sizes depending on the application but you need to get the old one out first.

That's going to require you to probably drill out the old one and use an "Easy-Out" (or similar) extractor.

Doing that is likely to put some metal chips into the unit requiring disassembly and flush-out before you can use it.

If it's not making any pressure at all, there may be other stuff going on inside which would make me want to look inside too,......

Now having said all that, when it comes to brake systems and parts, I would be willing to bet that Hydrastar is not going to like telling you it's "OK" to take their unit apart and put it back together.

They'll probably either tell you to send it to them so they can do it or they'll tell you to replace it altogether. (their own liability is at stake here)

But since the bleeder valve is broken off requiring a drill-out and extraction, I would at a minimum want to remove the entire back "cover" so I could easily extract the broken bleeder, clean up the threads and fully wash everything. (Anything hydraulic MUST be "pristine-clean"!)

Once apart, it may need gaskets or seals to put it back together. (requiring a call to Hydrastar)

Looking at pictures of your unit, it looks like there's corroded screws holding that back "cover" on, they're screwed into aluminum and 1 or more of them may strip or break getting them off. If that happens, the entire thing may not be rebuild-able.

I would start with a call to Hydrastar.

Regards,

Rick

Swedefj40

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Wow I just seen your reply now, I'll have to check my notification settings. Anyway, thanks for the informed reply Rick!

Here's my update on this...

I ordered a bleeder valve repair kit online and was able to successfully repair the vent.

I also got the actuator working properly. I noticed that I was seeing air bubbles in the reservoir and that the outlet port to the brake line was sucking in air. I questioned the manufacturer about this and asked if there is any chance the motor polarity was reversed because that's how it's acting. They just said it needs to be sent in for repair or replacement. Not happy with that, I opened it up and did find the (+) and (-) leads were reversed on the PCB! I have a suspicion that whoever was messing with the breakaway switch wiring had this apart too. Anyway, all is good now and it's time to get her ready for the spring!