Bunk Placement on Trailer

ERock82

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am redoing the bunks on my boat trailer. It is a 1995 Bayliner Capri 14ft closed bow boat (About 1,000 lbs) on a 16ft Continental single axle trailer.

I have attached photos of where the current bunk placement is. I am wondering if I should have these up higher on the angled portion of the bottom of the hull. Would this make it easier to load the trailer? Currently the bunks are 2x4s and 6ft long. That seems to be standard. Only a 2x4 will fit in the current position. Should I use a 2x6 in the higher up angled position or stick with the 2X4? Thanks.

Attachments

• photo303464.jpg
    photo303464.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 2
  • photo303465.jpg
    photo303465.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 2
  • photo303466.jpg
    photo303466.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 2

alldodge

Staff member
My opinion, others may differ

The center rollers (keel roller) should not touch the hull once the boat is resting on the bunks. Those rollers are used to protect the keel from contacting the frame when loading.

The bunks should be about where they are, just move them inward just enough so they are not resting on the lifting strakes

harringtondav

Commander
I agree with ^^^. My add would be to lengthen the bunks so they extend beyond the the transom by 1". It looks like they will overhang the rear bunk supports a bit, but will still support your transom better. Moving up to treated 2x6 will cost a very few more $$, but will provide even more support at the transom. If you go with 2x6s you may have to move the rear supports inward enough to keep the bunks inside the outer edge of the chines. But as All Dodge said, you need to loosen them and raise them just enough to get the keel off those rollers. 1/4" is plenty, assuming the boat normally loads level.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
My opinion, others may differ

Boy, ain't that the truth....LOL.

The keel rollers are intended to support the strongest part of the hull - the keel. They also aid in launching and retrieving. The bunks are intended to keep the boat stable.

Raise the rollers so they have a firm contact with the keel. 2x4 bunks are fine. The bunks should be about midway between the keel and the chine, surely not under a strake.

My first boat trailer was a "Kit" supplied by Holsclaw. Their instruction manual was very clear and precise. Every boat I've owned has been set up that same way. They launch like a breeze and in 50 years I have never damaged a hull.