2017 Silverado, 2003 18' BassTracker, hitch height?

jmillsp

Cadet
Got a new 17 Silverado Z71. I will use it to pull my 2003 18 1/2 foot Basstracker that sits on a typical Trailstar trailer. I have always pulled it with Jeep Grand Cherokees in the past. Decided I should measure, or try to, and get as close to level as I could. Have always used a 2 inch drop before but maybe I should have been using a little more. In measuring from top of receiver and bottom of the tongue on the trailer and figuring the weight of the trailer on the vehicle, I am coming up with approx. 19.75 for the receiver and 16.5 on the trailer. Difference should be the correct drop or 3.25 inches. Just wondering if this sounds correct to you all and wondered if anyone else out there might have the same setup to verify. Thanks for the help. (I know, I worry to much!)

alldodge

Staff member
While it doesn't have to be exact, I would measure just the trailer off the truck, which you probably have done. With the trailer on the truck, the truck will drop some. This distance is where to set the hitch give or take an inch

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Normally I just tow my combo to a flat level parking lot and unhook and measure the trailer by eye on what looks level, measure the coupler height and get the proper drop hitch to match, if I have to tow off a bit, I always prefer the trailer coupler be on the high side and not low at the coupler joint.

Leardriver

Petty Officer 1st Class
Over time, you will accumulate 2,4,6 inch ball mounts in 2" and 2 5/16. It just naturally happens. Having an unlevel trailer is an abomination.

ahicks

Captain
Got a new 17 Silverado Z71. I will use it to pull my 2003 18 1/2 foot Basstracker that sits on a typical Trailstar trailer. I have always pulled it with Jeep Grand Cherokees in the past. Decided I should measure, or try to, and get as close to level as I could. Have always used a 2 inch drop before but maybe I should have been using a little more. In measuring from top of receiver and bottom of the tongue on the trailer and figuring the weight of the trailer on the vehicle, I am coming up with approx. 19.75 for the receiver and 16.5 on the trailer. Difference should be the correct drop or 3.25 inches. Just wondering if this sounds correct to you all and wondered if anyone else out there might have the same setup to verify. Thanks for the help. (I know, I worry to much!)

Yes, sounds correct, but the only way to know for sure is to hook it up.

I agree with the earlier comment regarding somebody that's been towing for a while. Eventually, you'll accumulate several mounts, and between using them to raise or lower the ball height, you'll have pretty much anything you want to tow covered. Never let those go with your tow vehicle!

Oh, and congrats on the new truck!