Trailer brakes not registering on controller

JJ Schnell

Cadet
Just noticed on the trip home from having boat winterized that the brake controller wasn't registering the boat trailer. Got home and double checked and all lights work, pin was set in good, but controller won't register the brakes. I checked the breakaway and it isn't tripped and the hydraulic fluid is full. Controller works fine with our other trailer and it is a newer vehicle and Prodigy P3 so pretty sure it's in the trailer somewhere. Where do I even start looking?

alldodge

Staff member
hydraulic fluid is full

Unless you have electric over hydraulic actuator then you have surge brakes and they do not use the controller

How many wires on the trailer plug connector

JJ Schnell

Cadet
Unless you have electric over hydraulic actuator then you have surge brakes and they do not use the controller

How many wires on the trailer plug connector

There are 4 wires. Could just be loosing my mind, but could have sworn it registered when I towed it down. We just bought the boat so have only trailed it a couple times.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
There are 4 wires. Could just be loosing my mind, but could have sworn it registered when I towed it down. We just bought the boat so have only trailed it a couple times.

with only 4 wires, you have surge brakes and there is no way a brake controller would know you have a trailer on the hitch

JJ Schnell

Cadet
with only 4 wires, you have surge brakes and there is no way a brake controller would know you have a trailer on the hitch

Lol....ok, thanks for making me feel better about it not having issues and worse for not knowing anything about boats and trailers.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
LOL.....just pointing out the answer. not intending you to feel one way or another.

I still learn things every day.