Bunks are too low?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaMick

Recruit
I'm just getting used to loading my bunk trailer alone. I'm finding it harder to load it on the trailer compared to the ease of the old roller trailer. Seems like if i don't power load it then I have to drag it on with the winch and this is not easy But more importantly, I bought "loading guides" to install because if the boat (20' GW) isn't exactly straight it "lists" a little to one side and can actually touch and rub against the trailer fender. The nice old trailer guy that sold me the guides told me to ADD a length of (carpeted) 2x6 to each bunk to gain 2" of height since the existing bunks are fastened right through the meat of the wood and moving them higher might risk splitting the wood if I drilled to close to the edge.

If the boat is perfect I get approx. 2" of clearance between the boat and the fenders. People love their bunk trailers but I'm having a hard time liking it better than my old roller trailer.

Does this make sense? Should go back to the roller? What am I doing wrong?

tpenfield

Staff member
Usually, with a bunk trailer, you have to back the trailer in much deeper than you would a roller trailer. Basically, you want the bunks to be under water.

Bunk trailers are often referred to as 'float on' trailers, because you cannot winch them up like with rollers.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
I never power load. Never have to and it burns me up when I see people doing it. But that's a whole other subject.

So.... your dilemma...you need to get used to bunks vs rollers. Two different animals...
If your bunk trailer is too deep, your boat will be floating randomly above the bunks and will not sit evenly when you pull out.
Submerge your trailer so that about 8" of the front of the bunks are still above water. Coast your boat onto the bunks and winch the remainder. If the bunks are too deep they can't guide your boat to the proper position.

As far as your bunks being too low...
My trailer is fitted from the factory for my boat. When the boat is sitting on the trailer, there is literally only 1-1/4" between the edge of the hull and the fenders. I just went out and measured it. I never have a problem with the hull touching the fenders.

Last edited:

tramsdell

Banned
My trailer has guides on each side that serve to align the boat so that this doesn't occur. But then again i "power load" so maybe im just doing everything wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.