Boat not aligning up upon retrieval

Texas1

Cadet
I've owned an Astro fish and ski since new.
The trailer was stored for years and boat was in a slip.

When trying to retrieve the boat on trailer it seems to set way to low at the bow stop/ winch area.

Something is definitely changed and wondering what adjustments are necessary.

I've tried different trailer depths thinking the trailer was either too deep or too shallow.

I gonna attach some photos and start with this.

Attachments

• photo302511.jpg
    photo302511.jpg
    378.7 KB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
Owned since new and now it sits lower, I would look at the bunks and their supports to see if they have moved

Post a pic for the supports

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Where was the trailer stored? If at a storage facility, maby someone altered it for temporary use?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
is the transom still floating? my guess is if you pull the trailer up a bit and get the transom to not be floating, it will land where you need it.

Texas1

Cadet
With the fenders under water( It will float right over them)

Both scenarios the bow is still underneath the bow stop.

Also the trailer was stored outside at a marina with a very steep angle. My assumption was it was used without my knowledge

Attachments

• photo302531.jpg
    photo302531.jpg
    499 KB · Views: 0
  • photo302532.jpg
    photo302532.jpg
    384.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo302535.jpg
    photo302535.jpg
    420.1 KB · Views: 0

Texas1

Cadet
I have to back it in where boat is floating over fenders. Pray it doesnt shift in wind and move to front of trailer and physically lift bow with hands over the bow stop and crank it tight.

Then run to truck...Keep looking to make sure it is floating straight and slowly pull trailer out of water till it sits on bunks straight

Texas1

Cadet
Not sure if anything can be assessed from these photos.

Attachments

• photo302536.jpg
    photo302536.jpg
    504.4 KB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
If you have a title for the trailer, go get it and compare the serial number with what's on your paper work. Wonder if there were 2 trailers that looked the same, because it looks like you have fixed welded bunks. If they are welded in place then the bunks cannot move

Tried zooming in to look closer at the bunks but it gets to blurry

NYBo

Admiral

Also the trailer was stored outside at a marina with a very steep angle. My assumption was it was used without my knowledge
Looks like you have the trailer in too far/deep.

Texas1

Cadet
Trailer matches. After further investigation it seems bunks are not adjustable. Wonders if I was too deep

Attachments

• photo302599.jpg
    photo302599.jpg
    346.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo302600.jpg
    photo302600.jpg
    390.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo302601.jpg
    photo302601.jpg
    394.6 KB · Views: 0

89retta

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You're backing the trailer in to far. Try loading with more of the trailer out of the water

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
When on land, does the boat sit correct in relation to the bow stop? If so, then you are submerging the trailer too deep when retrieving.
If it still doesn't sit correctly against the bow stop on land, then perhaps you can adjust the stantion of the bow stop. Is there any adjustment there to maybe lower the bow stop? Or tilt the bow stop down at a sharper angle?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
The ramp is too steep.......

I have this problem on two ramps I frequent. At low tide you can't get the trailer in deep enough, at high tide the boat is almost at a right angle to the trailer.

Have to connect the winch to the boat then pull trailer forward. Winch boat forward a bit. Pull trailer forward again and continue til the bow is higher than the bow stop at which time you can winch boat to stop.

If boat not centered, back the trailer in the water to float transom and pull forward again. Sometime takes 2-3 times to get it "close enough"