Need to Size Trailer for 20' Bow Rider

Axle54

Recruit
1st Post, Lurking for a while great information here

Potentially need trailer for a 20' Chaparrel 200LE Bow rider 4.3l
Weight 2,550 (from original brochure, assume with engine but no fuel or batts etc.)
LOA 20' 1"
Beam 7' 4"

What GVWR Trailer is minimum that I need ?
What about trailer length ?
In N.Y appears any trailer over 3,000 GVWR needs brakes ?
Will be towed up to 50 miles so highway use.
Any suggestions?
Appreciated help

tpenfield

Staff member
:welcome: to iBoats . . .

Venture Trailers has some look-up charts for weight and length.

The following bunk models would be of consideration . . .

VB-3300
VBT-3600S (if you want tandem axles)

In a roller model . . .

VR-3350
VRT-3650S (if you want tandem axles)

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
If you are going to be doing highway towing I'd recommend a tandem trailer and brakes, preferably on both axles. I use a single axle for a similar size and weight boat but I need that for maneuvering it in a very tight parking situation, for me a tandem would not work. You can get a heavyweight single from some companies with a 6 lug axle and 12" brakes. I'd advise this for any boat bigger than an 18' on a single axle. If you want a single for the same reason (maneuverability) then go with the 3600 lb capacity model with the 6 lug axle and 12" brakes....

Axle54

Recruit
Much appreciated.. would like to stay single for maneuverability.. how are singles at highway speed . Scary or manageable?

alldodge

Staff member
The longer the trailer the easier it is to back up, and also tracks smoother. Amount of wheels only maters for weight. More axles will wear the tires more when turning, but then again not much and only it tight quarters. Most trailer tires dry rot before they ever wear out

tpenfield

Staff member
Much appreciated.. would like to stay single for maneuverability.. how are singles at highway speed . Scary or manageable?

The thing that I don't like about tandem and tri-axle trailers is that sharp turning, typical of backing up and ramp maneuvers, causes a lot of stress on the axles as the wheels flex during the turning. Single axle trailers are better in that regard, but not much else. Tandems will run smoother and have a safety factor for tire failures, etc.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
The most important thing with stability is proper balance and tongue weight. You can also in some cases specify a longer tongue which will make backing up easier and it will usually tow better too, as long as your tongue weight is enough. I've towed my single as fast as 55 mph and I would not call it scary. It has about 300 lb of tongue weight, prob about 7% or so. You want more than 5%, and less than 10%.

briangcc

Commander
My personal experience, your mileage may vary...

My '05 Four Winns was on a tandem and my current '17 Chap is on a single axle. Within a couple inches in length of eachother but the Four Winns was about 1k more in weight.

All that being said....at highway speeds the tandem trailer was more stable than the single axle. A semi passing by when pulling the Four Winns barely moved it. Same situation with the Chap and you know it's getting pushed around. Not unsafe but you definitely notice the difference. The tandem also seemed to track in a straight line better.

Flip side is the single axle turns tighter when backing up and it turns quicker. There is a downside in that the single axle is less forgiving when you over correct. Tandems take a bit more to get into the right location but since you have a second set of wheels acting as an anchor in tight turns it is more forgiving if you over correct.

Tandems are more expensive when it comes to replacing the tires as well....you have more of them to replace. I know its obvious but gotta list it out.

Last bit of advice...check your owner's manual for your tow vehicle. It may require you to use a tandem at the weight you are towing. It may also require you to run brakes on either a single or tandem - usually 3k is the point where brakes are required.

Axle54

Recruit
Thank you all for the wealth of knowledge and experiences. . When buying used boats it seems like the trailer is an afterthought. Most buyers get blinders on and focus on the boat. Seems like sellers are more then happy to sell boats with mis-sized trailers and working capacities. As long as it somewhat fits it goes out the door in the sale.
Lots of learning to do.

porscheguy

Chief Petty Officer
My 19' wellcraft sits on a single axle load-rite roller trailer that's the same age as the boat. I can't compare to a tandem axle boat trailer as I've never used one. What I will say is that whoever sold that boat and trailer combination took the time to set it up properly and it is spot on. I tow it with an older Chevrolet K1500 that doesn't make a lot of power, so you feel it behind you in terms of sheer weight. But as for the handling, it's a dream. When backing down to the ramp it doesn't jack knife, nor is it slow to respond. On the highway it doesn't get pushed around. And a year ago, I towed it from MD to St Pete in one day, and two weeks later, I towed it back. I'd do it again in a heartbeat if I thought my truck was up to the task. I'd like one a new, aluminum bunk trailer, but whenever I think about one, I think of how well my current one works despite being 28 years old, and I figure that's money better spent elsewhere.

For your size, I'd save the money and go with a single axle with brakes. Brakes do make a difference even though many guys insist they don't. At a minimum they help to maintain trailer stability as you slow down, especially under hard/heavy braking.

And take the time to make sure it's setup properly. There are numerous adjustments that can be made to a trailer to custom fit it to your boat. The more time you take with the setup, the bigger the payoff in ease of use/handling.